none
SP 2010 Beta hangs in config, task 3

Question

• I'm trying to install a fresh copy of SP 2010 and create a new farm on Windows 2008 R2 and SQL 2008. Everything goes fine, Sharepoint installs and I go to run the configuration and enter the appropriate information: kerberos, SQl access account, port, etc. The wizard goes to create the databases and actually does create them on the SQL Server, but it just sits there at Task 3, 'Creating the Configuration Database.' It never times out, it never logs an error - NOTHING. I have to manually kill the process in order to get it to stop (yes, I've waited HOURS for it to finish).

Any ideas what might be causing the issue? This is a fresh 2008 R2 install, a new SQL 2008 box with the just-released cumulative update, and the SP 2010 Beta 2 code released on MSDN.

The server is a physical box with 4GB of memory.
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:53 PM No need to shout HANGS at us. Caps removed from Title.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:24 PM

Answers

• You can review the SharePoint 2010 install log by typing this at a command prompt:

cd %temp%
    dir /od *.log

This error looks like a it's the database config program and it has a separate log file. In the same directory but with a filename like DBWrap_*.log. Look in there for the specific database errors.

The SharePoint 2010 beta does work on Windows Server 2008 R2. But SharePoint 2010 is beta, so you should expect to find bugs. We'll be happy to help you resolve them.

Cheers,
    Paul
    SharePoint Product Manager. Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:21 PM

All replies

• Same deal here - a freshly-installed Server 2008 R2 with SQL 2008 SP1 and the cumulative hotfix applied. SP2010 installed without error (Standalone installation), but the SharePoint Products Configuration Wizard is hanging on "Creating the Configuration Database" with psconfigui.exe pegging one of the CPUs.

Tried to cancel, and now it's just hanging with the message "Configuration will be stopped as soon as the configuration database settings have been applied".

A side question - any way to have a standalone install use the default SQL instance rather than creating its own SHAREPOINT instance?
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 7:40 PM
  • Some quick additional information:

Versions of installed prerequisites-

Geneva framework: 1.0.30624.0
    Filter Pack 2.0 (Beta): 14.4536.1000
    SharePoint Server: 14.0.4536.1000
    SQL 2008 Native Client: 10.0.1600.22
    SQL 2008 Analysis Services ADOMT.NET: 10.1.2531.0
    Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 (x64): 1.0.1215.0

Running SQL 2008 Enterprise SP1, Cumulative Update 4
    • Edited by FearlessFreep Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:11 PM Added SQL
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:01 PM
  • I might have figured out what happened, at least to me. I already had full SQL 2008 Standard installed when I ran the SP 2010 installer. I chose a Standalone installation, which apparently installed SQL 2008 Express which set up a "SHAREPOINT" instance. I am thinking perhaps something conflicted between the two.

I am going to uninstall, and this time choose Server Farm installation even though everything's local. I also found this post regarding using all local accounts as opposed to a domain account with a single-server "Farm" installation, which I am going to try:
    http://sharepoint.microsoft.com/blogs/fromthefield/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=112

I'll let you know how this goes.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:03 PM
  • Windows Firewall on the SQL and the WFE I created also might need to be disabled...or rules created for PSCONFIG
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:38 PM
  • Windows Firewall off completely on both WFE and SQL, but the same result using the PSCONFIGUI. Will try PSCONFIG next.
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 8:48 PM
  • SharePoint 2010 Beta will install on Server 2008 R2, but it will fail on the configuration wizard. You need to apply this hotfix

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=166231

Note: at the time I am making this post, the link is not active. Microsoft has said they will release the hotfix soon.

I am adding this for reference even though you said you installed these; for SQL Server 2008, you need the following cumulative updates:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=165962

DougTheCoder www.sharepointdoug.com
    • Edited by Doug Hemminger Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:19 AM spelling correction
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:03 AM
  • Thanks, Doug. I did indeed install the latest cumulative rollup for SQL 2008.

I have a question - will running the PSConfig command line from the shell to create the database, then running the Config Wizard to connect to an existing database actually work, or will the Config wizard still hang?

Somewhat surprised that MS would release 2010 Beta that didn't work on 2008R2, but not shocked either . . .
    Wednesday, November 18, 2009 2:27 PM
  • Downloaded and installed the fix for R2 from here , but the Configuration Wizard still hangs on Task 3 - same thing as before.

Any suggestions as to where to look for any logging information?

Friday, November 20, 2009 5:16 PM
  • You can review the SharePoint 2010 install log by typing this at a command prompt:

cd %temp%
    dir /od *.log

This error looks like a it's the database config program and it has a separate log file. In the same directory but with a filename like DBWrap_*.log. Look in there for the specific database errors.

The SharePoint 2010 beta does work on Windows Server 2008 R2. But SharePoint 2010 is beta, so you should expect to find bugs. We'll be happy to help you resolve them.

Cheers,
    Paul
    SharePoint Product Manager. Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:21 PM