none
Problem running config wizard after install of SharePoint 2010 Oct CU

Question

• Two server lab environment.  We installed Oct CU for Excel Services and SharePoint 2010.  When running the SharePoint Config Wizard we get "Hotfix for Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 KB2596582" is "Missing on the Web/App server". 

Yet, looking in Control Panel, Installed Updates, we see entries for "Hotfix for Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 (KB2596582)" on the Web/App server.

And, if we attempt to run the hotfix again, we get "The update is already installed on the system"

We installed two bits, KB2596582 and KB 2596583.  583 was already installed, but 582 installed fine.

Are there any suggestions as to how to trick the config wizard into recognizing the installed bits?

Tuesday, November 29, 2011 11:28 PM

Answers

• I've had a similar experience before when I couldn't run the config wizard because there was a "orphaned" or "phantom" service application.  Is that's what is happening on your "PowerPivotServiceApplication1".  In my case I had to delete the service app using powershell and then I was able to run the config wizard successfully.

Here are instructions on how to delete a service app w/powershell:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee704553.aspx#ProcWPS

$spapp = Get-SPServiceApplication -Name "service app name"
    Remove-SPServiceApplication $spapp -RemoveData

the "-RemoveData" switch will remove the associated DBs

Let us know if that helps!

Paul Olenick SharePoint/FAST Architect , MCTS http://olenicksharepoint.wordpress.com/
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Wednesday, December 07, 2011 5:15 AM
    Friday, December 02, 2011 1:41 PM

All replies

• Did you reboot your servers after the updates?

Any errors in your Diagnostic logs or Event Logs?

Paul Olenick SharePoint/FAST Architect , MCTS http://olenicksharepoint.wordpress.com/
    Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:40 AM
  • Thank you for your questions!  Here are some details.  Hopefully something will pop out.

Our patch install process is perhaps not the most glamorous on the planet but it usually does the job.  We do an iisreset, stop the timer job, run SP Config, install the patch, reboot, run SP Config again, test.  However, just to make sure, I bounced both servers.

The event logs have only one re-occuring error, on both servers, event ID 33, SideBySide.  We've been seeing it for months and ignoring it.  It has something to do with conhost.

We have a two server environment.  SQL on one server, runing 2008 R2 with SP1 and the rsSharePoint.msi as we run Reporting Services in Integrated mode.  On the web/app and SQL server we have SharePoint with SP1 and June CU, as well as MS11-074.  This environment is mostly focused on BI and Project Server testing - patch installs to be specific.

On the web/app server I see one more error which comes up when I attempt to run Config Wizard.  No surprise here.

Exception: System.ServiceModel.ServiceActivationException: The service '/4f75d1d93ee84d6aaa6e786b125bcd59/MetadataWebService.svc' cannot be activated due to an exception during compilation. The exception message is: The farm is unavailable.. ---> System.InvalidOperationException: The farm is unavailable.

On the SQL side I see one error which does not concern me greatly as the database throwing the error doesn't exist and hasn't for some time.  I'm not sure why SQL thinks it should be there, but I don't think it's related to the issue at hand.

Cannot open database "PowerPivotServiceApplication1_aeeae98cd9f24888aa280818b3a6f017" requested by the login. The login failed.  Login failed for user 'AMR\sys_epm2010D'.

A few interesting things in the ULS logs:

Web/App:

patchca not found. Falling back  (this is a psconfigui.exe and is a bit puzzling to me)  TID 0x0A98, SharePoint Foundation, EventID 999p

Failed to get local farm object. SPFarm.Local is null. The server VMSQACPO024 is not joined to a SharePoint farm or the Web Analytics Data Processing Windows service account doesn't have permission to access the SharePoint configuration database.

SQL:

Failed to get local farm object. SPFarm.Local is null. The server VMSQACPO025 is not joined to a SharePoint farm or the Web Analytics Data Processing Windows service account doesn't have permission to access the SharePoint configuration database.  (I logged into SQL as the farm account and also to the SQL server - no issues with accessing databases, I can query tables w/o problems) (It's a lab server, one account for everything)

Can not connect to configuration database: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding.     at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObject)     at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection)

Other:  I think the only other thing is that after installing the Oct CU, when we ran the config wizard, the farm no longer remembered the SQL server name.

Thanks!

Liesl

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 4:28 AM
  • I've had a similar experience before when I couldn't run the config wizard because there was a "orphaned" or "phantom" service application.  Is that's what is happening on your "PowerPivotServiceApplication1".  In my case I had to delete the service app using powershell and then I was able to run the config wizard successfully.

Here are instructions on how to delete a service app w/powershell:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee704553.aspx#ProcWPS

$spapp = Get-SPServiceApplication -Name "service app name"
    Remove-SPServiceApplication $spapp -RemoveData

the "-RemoveData" switch will remove the associated DBs

Let us know if that helps!

• Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Wednesday, December 07, 2011 5:15 AM
    Friday, December 02, 2011 1:41 PM