none
Always get reply on a default email address by CommandButton click RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have designed an outlook form template (*.oft) for always getting reply on the default email address. For this I simply created a CommandButton1, then opend "View Code" window, and wrote below lines:

Sub CommandButton1_Click()
        Item.CC = "MyEmail@hotttmail.com"
        Msgbox "Mailed CC: " & Item.CC
        Item.Send
    End Sub

Activity ---> I will send the template/ mail for asking customer's feedback, then they will rate our services and click on "Post Reply" CommandButton. As soon as customer clicks the button then his feedback reply should go to the above stated email address.

I am new to Outlook Design Form & its coding. The above method & code is not working for me, so please help me out for my learnings.

P.S. ---> I don't see any option to upload my sample template (*.oft) file.
    Thanks in advance!
    Thursday, April 11, 2013 7:14 PM

Answers

• The Organizational Forms Library is locaed in the Exchange Public Folders store, and you need an administrator to grant you permissions to see it and to publish to it, if it exists in your Exchange organization.

Probably the best and most complete collection of information and code for forms is in the Forms sections at www.outlookcode.com, which is also a very valuable resource for all Outlook programming information.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007
    "SunOffice" <=?utf-8?B?U3VuT2ZmaWNl?=> wrote in message news:39b87357-6f4a-442b-98a0-74f6116b998a...

Alright! if I need to publish the form to 'Organizational Form Library', then please let me know where to get it accessed. I am unable to find it while publishing it (under 'Look In:' options).

When you were testing this scenario, if you open the form from your 'Personal Forms Library'; then click on File Menu (in 2010) or Office Button icon (in 2007) of the opened message form.

1) Save As >> save this form as 'Feedback Form.oft (Outlook Template (*.oft)) in any computer folder.
    2) Open a new mail and attach this template file, and send it to your couple of recipients, to whom you want to allow the access/reply.
     For example: I am sending this form to user1, now in his inbox, we will save this file to any computer folder.
    3) Open his MS Outlook >> New >> Choose Form... >>  Look In: User Templates in File System >> Browse the folder for linking the Feedback Form templete >> Open
    4) With the opened form in user1's computer >> goto Developer tab >> Publish Form As >> Give the name as "Feedback Form' >> click on Publish button.
    5) Now check your form is on right place or not
    Outlook Application Main Window >> New >> Choose Form... >> Look In: Personal Forms Library >> Select your saved form >> Open

So this is how I install/publish the form to another users computer, and followed the above reply's steps for communicating (asking their reply).

Note >---> Btw, if your team has any better approach/guidance for this kind of scenario then please do let me know about the tutorials.

I have searched one more article on this subject, and looking for more depth knowledge:

Outlook Forms Step By Step Index   - by Jimmy

http://qvlweb.blogspot.in/2009/02/outlook-forms-step-by-step-index.html

Thank you again!

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:42 PM

All replies

• This is a quick note to let you know that we are doing research on this issue. We will let you know if there is any progress.

Have a nice day.

Yoyo Jiang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, April 15, 2013 10:59 AM
  • The oft is supposed to be deployed to: %AppData%\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates

best regards

Forrest Guo | MSDN Community Support | Feedback to manager

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:17 AM
  • Thank you for the information & response!

Alright! I have come to know about some posts/articles over the internet search that for this kind of purpose user will have to install the designed form in the Exchange server. Then only this process can work. At this point, user have to get several approvals from the higher management of the organization(which is not so easy). 

And here in my task/scenario, I want to learn a good solution for my learnings in both ways (plz see below):

1) where all users & customers are a part of an organization and have company provided email address and linked to Exchange server.

2) where nobody belongs to a particular organization/domain addresses, but they have MS Outlook installed in their personal systems.

Thank you again!

• Edited by SunOffice Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:09 PM
    Tuesday, April 16, 2013 6:45 PM
  • Alright! Thank you! As per your instructions I have kept a copy of my Outlook Template (*.oft) file, but the designed form & its code are not working?

I tried in my Outlook 2007: File Menu >> New >> Choose Form... >> Look In: User Templates in File System >> then opened the target *.oft file.

The Commandbutton1 is not working, not able to click and run the codes behind it (in the "View Code" window). Once a user opens the template for asking the feedback the designed form and its commands should be activated.

Thank you again!

Tuesday, April 16, 2013 7:02 PM
  • Here is how I customize the new message template and use it:

1. Design the form. Open a new message, on Developer tab > Design this form > Add the command button, note its name, let's say commandbutton1. > View Code > Add the button click event handler.
    2. Publish the form. We have two options: publish form to Exchange organization form library, and publish to local. We select local: "Publish Form As" > Personal Forms Library
    3. Use the form. Outlook, File > New > Choose form.

Important note: please make sure the button name match between control property and event. For example, your code mentions CommandButton1, the control property must match this.

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, April 17, 2013 1:59 AM
  • Thank you Forrest Guo!

Yes, the above method works only in my computer, and I have to circulate this form only a few team members. I have also come to know more about publishing custom forms by below knowledge sharing articles:

Custom forms deployment : Where we can publish Outlook Custom forms:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/deva/archive/2009/12/16/custom-forms-deployment-where-we-can-publish-outlook-custom-forms.aspx

Deciding Where to Publish Message-based Forms

If the form is based on an e-mail message and it is used by you and only a couple of other users, publish the form to the Personal Forms Library for all of the users. However, if you are going to create new items based on this form, you may want to publish it to your Inbox so that you can access it on the Actions menu.

and Publishing Custom Forms in Outlook:

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook-developer/publishing-custom-forms/

On message forms, Outlook will pop up a message suggesting that you check the Send form definition with item box on the form’s Properties page. You should answer No to this prompt. Answering Yes will cause all items creating with the form to one-off, which means that the code behind the form will not run on machines with the Outlook Email Security Update.

After publishing, the form is installed and ready to use.

I tried to follow your steps for publishing my form in two another users, and published the form with the same name in their 'Personal Forms Library'.  I also tried to follow below line's instruction by Yes (for marking on checkbox) and No ((by unchecking the checkbox). 

check the Send form definition with item box on the form’s Properties page. You should answer No to this prompt.

, but If the"Send form definition" checkbox is uncheck (No), then my forms shows in active status and ready to mail by commandbutton1 click. Now I have encountered with a new problem:

Scenario >---> We need a total of three users, I will send the form to user1, then the user1 will forward the mail to user2. There the user2 will fill this feedback form and hit the commandbutton1 for posting his reply. Then his filled feedback form/mail must come to me.

Problem Case >---> Now I just use the method with only two users - user1 & I. I sent this form as a email to user1. Now if he submits the form by clicking commandbutton1, he gets a message failure notice from Microsoft Exchange (reason >---> He cannot send mail without my permission on my behalf). If I open the mail in his sent items, we find that my email address is mentioned under "From" section (where being a message sender, only his name should be there). 

And the same problem occurs when he mails the form to me and I fill and send the form (by commandbutton1 click).

Please help me....

• Marked as answer by SunOffice Tuesday, April 23, 2013 5:40 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by SunOffice Tuesday, April 23, 2013 5:40 AM
    • Edited by SunOffice Tuesday, April 23, 2013 5:56 AM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 5:23 AM
  • How do you send for as email to user1? by attachment? 

Is the custom form created based on a builtin form, like new message?

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:48 AM
  • Yes! It is only as a custom form created based on a builtin form, like new message.
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 6:57 AM
  • In my opinion, you need to publish the form to Organizational Form Library as you want to share it to other user.

When I test this scenario, I'm not able to save custom message form as template, I can only save a reading mode message as template. What do you think? I'm interested how you make the template.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:27 AM
  • Alright! if I need to publish the form to 'Organizational Form Library', then please let me know where to get it accessed. I am unable to find it while publishing it (under 'Look In:' options).

When you were testing this scenario, if you open the form from your 'Personal Forms Library'; then click on File Menu (in 2010) or Office Button icon (in 2007) of the opened message form.

1) Save As >> save this form as 'Feedback Form.oft (Outlook Template (*.oft)) in any computer folder.
    2) Open a new mail and attach this template file, and send it to your couple of recipients, to whom you want to allow the access/reply.
     For example: I am sending this form to user1, now in his inbox, we will save this file to any computer folder.
    3) Open his MS Outlook >> New >> Choose Form... >>  Look In: User Templates in File System >> Browse the folder for linking the Feedback Form templete >> Open
    4) With the opened form in user1's computer >> goto Developer tab >> Publish Form As >> Give the name as "Feedback Form' >> click on Publish button.
    Outlook Application Main Window >> New >> Choose Form... >> Look In: Personal Forms Library >> Select your saved form >> Open

So this is how I install/publish the form to another users computer, and followed the above reply's steps for communicating (asking their reply).

Note >---> Btw, if your team has any better approach/guidance for this kind of scenario then please do let me know about the tutorials.

I have searched one more article on this subject, and looking for more depth knowledge:

Thank you again!

• Edited by SunOffice Wednesday, April 24, 2013 1:40 PM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 1:37 PM
  • The Organizational Forms Library is locaed in the Exchange Public Folders store, and you need an administrator to grant you permissions to see it and to publish to it, if it exists in your Exchange organization.

Probably the best and most complete collection of information and code for forms is in the Forms sections at www.outlookcode.com, which is also a very valuable resource for all Outlook programming information.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "SunOffice" <=?utf-8?B?U3VuT2ZmaWNl?=> wrote in message news:39b87357-6f4a-442b-98a0-74f6116b998a...

Alright! if I need to publish the form to 'Organizational Form Library', then please let me know where to get it accessed. I am unable to find it while publishing it (under 'Look In:' options).

Thank you again!

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:42 PM
  • Ken is right. Do you work in domain environment? Can you contact the domain admin?

Friday, April 26, 2013 5:00 AM
  • Thank you Mr Ken and Mr Forrest!

Do you mean to my organization user/email access via MS Exchange in the company? then Yes, I am creating this customized outlook form for couple of my company users.

...and Yes, I have spoken to my senior mgnt for granting access permissions to see it and to publish to it. Let's see... what comes from there side!

btw... is that mean clearly >---> MS Outlook does not provide support for delivering custom form messages to individual (non MS ExchangeUsers of any particular company or at personal level)? Therefore a user has to publish the form in "Organizational Forms Library" at MS Exchange Server.

Friday, April 26, 2013 6:42 AM
  • Outlook custom forms only have meaning in the context of running in Outlook. In addition, to convey the customization that information is sent as an attachment, Winmail.dat. That attachment is sent as TNEF (transport neutral encapsulation format) information in rich text format.

To send an Outlook form to someone else the item has to be sent as Rich Text, the information preserved whe sending over the Internet if it is sent outside an Exchange origanization, and the user has to have had the form published in one of the form libraries.

All the information you could ever want about publishing forms and how to send them over the Internet and to others can be found at the Forms pages at www.outlookcode.com. I highly recommend spending some time there becoming familiar with the complexities of custom forms.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "SunOffice" <=?utf-8?B?U3VuT2ZmaWNl?=> wrote in message news:024274c6-5e4a-45e2-a3fc-ed7621ba7f6c...

Thank you Mr Ken and Mr Forrest!

Do you mean to my organization user/email access via MS Exchange in the company? then Yes, I am creating this customized outlook form for couple of my company users.

...and Yes, I have spoken to my senior mgnt for granting access permissions to see it and to publish to it. Let's see... what comes from there side!

btw... is that mean clearly >---> MS Outlook does not provide support for delivering custom form messages to individual (non MS ExchangeUsers of any particular company or at personal level)? Therefore a user has to publish the form in "Organizational Forms Library" at MS Exchange Server.

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, April 26, 2013 2:20 PM