none
External Content Type - Web Service RRS feed

• Question

• I'm setting up an external content type using SharePoint designer. I want to add a web service as my connection and I can configure the connection to my web service just fine but when I try to create a read list/item operation (or any other operation) I get the following error:

"The method that your operation is based on has parameters with complex types that do not have default parameterless constructor.  This kind of data source methods cannot be used in Business Data Catalog."

The method that I'm trying to create the read item/list operation on is method that accepts parameters. It looks like this:

Can I only create these read item/list operations on methods that don't accept parameters? Is that way I'm getting this error?

Thursday, January 13, 2011 4:55 PM

Answers

• Hi David

SP Designer is very basic for creating BDC models. If you have a service which returns an object with a number of layers like a response, then a container before you get to the collection, it can't handle it.

You need to create a BDC Model in VS2010 which will allow you to create a service class to drill into your return object and get the collection out.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by davidevan Friday, January 14, 2011 1:59 PM
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 5:37 PM

All replies

• Hi David

SP Designer is very basic for creating BDC models. If you have a service which returns an object with a number of layers like a response, then a container before you get to the collection, it can't handle it.

You need to create a BDC Model in VS2010 which will allow you to create a service class to drill into your return object and get the collection out.

Hope this helps.

• Marked as answer by davidevan Friday, January 14, 2011 1:59 PM
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Hello,

As already mentioned you need to use Visual Studio 2010 BDC Model Project to create your models and deploy for this kind of scenarios.

You can also have a look at BCS Meta Man product offered by the company where i work for. It will help you to create models on your WCF services using drag and drop, and generates C# code. http://www.lightningtools.com/bcs/bcs-meta-man.aspx

Hrayr

Lightning Tools Check out our SharePoint tools and web parts
    Friday, January 14, 2011 9:27 AM
  • Thanks for the help, G_Sharp and Hraryr.
    Friday, January 14, 2011 1:58 PM