none
SharePoint 2010 & InfoPath, problem with version history RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there

I recently have a problem with SharePoint 2010 and the version history for InfoPath 2010 forms. I created an infopath form and published it to a form library which has enabled major/minor version. When one wants to view an old version of the infopath form, it doesn't open in the infopath client application rather it pop up an dialog which tells you that you should download the xml file. This behaviour seems to be a bug. Is there any solution to this problem?

Here a short overview: SharePoint 2010 Standard Edition, created a Form Library with major- minor versioning enabled. created InfoPath 2010 form and published it to the form library. worked with the form and created several versions. actual version opens fine in InfoPath, older versions have to be downloaded as xml file. SharePoint doesn't recognize the xml file as a InfoPath form.   

• Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, January 6, 2011 8:02 AM SP 2010 questions go ONLY to SP 2010 forums (From:SharePoint - Enterprise Content Management (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, January 6, 2011 7:52 AM

Answers

• When I change my Form Library to open in the client, this process prompts me with Open - Save - Cancel.  If I click "open," then it opens in the InfoPath Filler. Do you have Permissive file handling set in your Web Application?  If not, then that is probably why.

• Central Admin > Application Management > Manage Web Applications
    • Single-click the row of your web application
    • Click General Settings in the ribbon
    • Scroll down to Browser File Handling and select Permissive

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by ibeelk Friday, January 7, 2011 7:00 AM
    • Edited by Clayton Cobb Friday, January 7, 2011 7:39 AM
    Friday, January 7, 2011 6:45 AM

All replies

• I'm a little confused.  YOu are using the word form, but I can't tell if you're referring to form TEMPLATES or data forms that have been filled out based on the form template.  Form templates are never opened directly.  They are published, like what you said you did, and then you click New to invoke a new XML form based on the template.  You never actually CLICK on a form template, so i"m not sure what you mean when you say, "actual version opens fine in InfoPath."  Actual verions of WHAT?  The form template or actual data forms.  The versioning only applies to data forms (XML) files, but it's also very imporant to use versioning on your form template by storing it in a doc lib elsewhere for maintenance purposes.

If you're talking only about data forms that have been submitted and not a published form template, and you're trying to view an older version of that data form, then this feature does work for me.  When I go to the version history of a data form and click on an older version, mine open right in the browser.

Friday, January 7, 2011 5:16 AM
  • Hi Clayton

thanks for your reply. Sorry about my improper description. I try to recap what the problem is: I use InfoPath 2010 Form, I created a form template (.xsn) for use in the client application InfoPath, not a browser-form. I publish the form template to a form library (SharePoint 2010). The form library has major and minor version enabled. Now when I start a data form to fill in data and save it the versioning begins. First 0.1 etc. If I open the actual version of a data form, it opens well in the client application InfoPath. When the data form has several versions and I want to open an earlier version (maybe the actual version is 2.2 and I want to show a data form which has the version 2.1), I open the version history of this "document" and select the elder version. Instead of open InfoPath on the client it opens a popup window (Title: File Download) with following content:

Do you want to save this file?

Name:    test.xml

Type:     XML Document

From:    <my Server>  ... and the two buttons Save and Cancel .

It seems that the file is not recognized as InfoPath form.

Hope this helps.

Friday, January 7, 2011 6:26 AM
  • When I change my Form Library to open in the client, this process prompts me with Open - Save - Cancel.  If I click "open," then it opens in the InfoPath Filler. Do you have Permissive file handling set in your Web Application?  If not, then that is probably why.

• Central Admin > Application Management > Manage Web Applications
    • Single-click the row of your web application
    • Click General Settings in the ribbon
    • Scroll down to Browser File Handling and select Permissive

• Marked as answer by ibeelk Friday, January 7, 2011 7:00 AM
    • Edited by Clayton Cobb Friday, January 7, 2011 7:39 AM
    Friday, January 7, 2011 6:45 AM
  • Many thanks for your help, this is the solution which fixed the problem.
    Friday, January 7, 2011 7:00 AM
  • Wrote a blog article for this for future reference:

Friday, January 7, 2011 7:49 PM