none
Creating linked ODBC table (not remembering password) RRS feed

• Question

• Access 2010. I'm trying to create a linked ODBC table. I can create the table link ok but I cannot get the link to remember the password (even though I load it into the TDF) so the user has to type in the password every time.  I never had any problem with this in Access 2003. Has something changed? I also am not able to do this via the External Data toolbar option.
    Tuesday, July 10, 2012 12:48 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Do you see the “save password” option if you try the following:
    +>Create a new blank database.
    +>Click on the External Data tab on the ribbon.
    +>Click on the “ODBC Database” option within the Import and Link section.
    +>Select your DSN.
    +>In the Link Table dialog, is the “Save Password” option visible below the buttons on the right hand side of the dialog?

If you don’t see this option available, then it could be that this option has been disabled.  The following article discusses ways to disable this option. 

207823 "Save Password" check box is unavailable when you link ODBC tables
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;207823

In the resolution section, it provides a registry key that can be set to make this option not available.  This article is a bit older so in your scenario, the registry key(s) you would want to look at would be:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\Security

Or

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\Office\14.0\Common\Security

And you would then want to see if there is a DWORD value at this key called DisablePwdCaching with a value of 1.

Best Regards,
    Nathan O.
    Microsoft Online Community Support

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Friday, July 13, 2012 4:06 PM

All replies