2013 Run-Time error 32809 on macro RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to have a file open correctly that has 'automatic macros'.  The file work in 2010 and now I have the run-time error.  This workbook is created by outside source and is password protected.

Thanks for any assistance.

Thursday, January 8, 2015 3:51 PM

Answers

• Do a bit of searching. It appears that this error is most likely caused by a MS security patch and is related to things like ActiveX. I'm not sure if there are fixes that don't require access to the file's design. If so, you should be able to get it working again. If not and you can't get into the file, then you really have no option except to push the fix back to the developers who have the password.

It's also possible that there's something about the design that is incompatible with 2013 and you're back to needing the devs with the password to fix the problem since it's code that's borked.

I feel you pain. Just curious, how do you fit in? Are you an end user stuck with something not working (and is so I REALLY feel your pain) or are you somehow tied into the development?

• Marked as answer by Caillen Tuesday, January 20, 2015 1:44 AM
    Thursday, January 8, 2015 8:50 PM

All replies

• I am unable to have a file open correctly that has 'automatic macros'.  The file work in 2010 and now I have the run-time error.  This workbook is created by outside source and is password protected.

Thanks for any assistance.

Have he outside source send you the password or have them debug the problem

If neither of those is an option, I think you'll need to research how to open password protected Excel files by breaking the password.

Thursday, January 8, 2015 5:01 PM
  • The excel file has multiple macros and was create by the Florida Department of Transportation so getting a password or having them debug is not an option.  The file worked in 2010 version.  This is an issue which is created in  2013.
    Thursday, January 8, 2015 8:08 PM
  • Do a bit of searching. It appears that this error is most likely caused by a MS security patch and is related to things like ActiveX. I'm not sure if there are fixes that don't require access to the file's design. If so, you should be able to get it working again. If not and you can't get into the file, then you really have no option except to push the fix back to the developers who have the password.

It's also possible that there's something about the design that is incompatible with 2013 and you're back to needing the devs with the password to fix the problem since it's code that's borked.

I feel you pain. Just curious, how do you fit in? Are you an end user stuck with something not working (and is so I REALLY feel your pain) or are you somehow tied into the development?

• Marked as answer by Caillen Tuesday, January 20, 2015 1:44 AM
    Thursday, January 8, 2015 8:50 PM
  • Did you ever get an answer to your issue, I am also working with the same problem but it seams to be tied to 2010 and 2013 now on my end, and the source is the same FDOT. Send me a ping if have anything to share.

So far this works for me sometimes.

Delete the file MSForms.exd from the user's AppData\Temp\Excel8.0 and Word8.0 directories, as in

"c:\users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Temp":

C:\Users\vgwpwrs\AppData\Temp\Excel8.0
    C:\Users\vgwpwrs\AppData\Temp\Word8.0
    C:\users\username\AppData\Local\Temp\VBE

Thursday, January 29, 2015 1:48 PM