none
InfoPath 2010 Data connection time out - intermittent RRS feed

• Question

•  

InfoPath 2010 form uses a web service that queries the user profile service and a SharePoint list and returns this data as xml to InfoPath.

The web service has been deployed into SharePoint following all guidelines from the following article:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms464040.aspx

When accessing the SharePoint site both internally and externally (extended the web application) first time in morning for example, the web service data connection times out when first used, yet still returns the data from the web service. Creating a new form again can work within seconds or can take approx 1.5mins, it is not consistent. We have wakeup scripts which initial the main site so it is responsive for users in the morning.

The InfoPath web service data connection has been converted to a connection file and approved for the site the form is deployed to. 

The infrastructure of SharePoint 2010 is using windows claims-based authentication and load balancing. We have ran with only one server on the load balancer (tested both servers individually) but the behaviour does change.

We have 7893 error in event viewer. The ULS logs point to a timeout querying data source but why is this inconsistent. The developer claims this works on normal windows authentication. Can this behaviour be related to claims? The data is always full returned after clicking ok to the timeout message.

Any help much appreciated.

LEX
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 5:08 PM

Answers

• So what is the purpose of that custom web service, and why does he refer to it as querying the user profile service when there is already a web service that does this?  How does a custom web service query an existing service?  Does he mean he's querying the profile database?

So you aren't the one building the form - it's some other developer?  Is s/he not able to ask the questions and give the answers?  This would be very difficult if it required going back and forth through multiple people.

He said it is theInfoPath 2010 form uses a web service that queries the user profile service and a SharePoint list for addtional information and returns this data as xml to InfoPath.This means he's using the built-in User Profile Service and not a custom web service.  This is very confusing. 

Earlier, you said he had also used the built-in web service and that the intermittent behavior was the same.  This would indicate you have a system issue, not an InfoPath or web service issue.  If two completely separate data connections behave EXACTLY the same, then it indicates a systematic issue.  There is no reason for the built-in User Profile Service itself to behave this way, so it indicates something with your environment.

What is the relevance of the "session stickiness"?  The WFE makes its own call separate from the user's session.

When a data connection times out, it does not retrieve the data, so I'd really look at how the form is built to see if it's making more than one data call due to custom rules or something.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, May 27, 2011 11:52 AM
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 8:26 PM

All replies

• Lex, a thread title of "InfoPath 2010" doesn't tell us anything.  This is the InfoPath 2010 forum, so InfoPath 2010 questions are expected.  Please always use a descriptive thread title so that people know to click on it or not.

The User Profile Service has its own built-in web services.  ARe you saying you built a custom web service in place of it?  That article shows how to create a web service - it doesn't show how to use the built-in web service that has many methods and is very robust.  Is there a reason you're not using this?  There is no such behavior as you've described with the built-in web service.

"We have ran with only one server on the load balancer (tested both servers individually) but the behaviour does change."

But the behavior DOES change?  That's a good thing, right?

Is this a browser form?  There are major differences with data connections between Filler and Browser forms.  Please specify.  With load balanced WFEs, data calls from browser forms are made by one of the WFEs, and then the request goes back through the load balancer if the URL is the same as the SharePoint URL.  When this happens, it either goes to the other WFE (requires Kerberos to be configured) or to the same WFE (cause a LoopBackCheck issue).  Each has to be accounted for.

What is the URL of this custom web service, and why did you create one instead of using the default UserProfileService.asmx?

Just as a point of reference, every form I ever build uses this the UserProfileService.asmx, and I've never experienced this behavior.

I also am using it in Claims Mode web apps without any such issue.

It definitely makes no sense that the data is returned even when the timeout occurs.  This is another thing I've never seen happen before, so it tells me that there is more than one data call occurring, and one of them is failing.

Sunday, May 15, 2011 6:30 PM
  • Hi Clayton,

I have updated now....been a long week, thanks for response.

To answer your questions.

The developer is using a custom web service in place of built in, but he tried the SP userprofileservice.asmx and the same behaviour persisted.

Correction on the single server testing, the behaviour does not change...typo.

It is a browser form. We are using session stickiness on the network load balancer. I have also disabled the loopback check as per article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896861 if this is what your are referring. I will check with developer on data call. He said it is the InfoPath 2010 form uses a web service that queries the user profile service and a SharePoint list for addtional information and returns this data as xml to InfoPath.

Any other pointers welcome.

Lex

LEX
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 8:13 PM
  • So what is the purpose of that custom web service, and why does he refer to it as querying the user profile service when there is already a web service that does this?  How does a custom web service query an existing service?  Does he mean he's querying the profile database?

So you aren't the one building the form - it's some other developer?  Is s/he not able to ask the questions and give the answers?  This would be very difficult if it required going back and forth through multiple people.

He said it is theInfoPath 2010 form uses a web service that queries the user profile service and a SharePoint list for addtional information and returns this data as xml to InfoPath.This means he's using the built-in User Profile Service and not a custom web service.  This is very confusing. 

Earlier, you said he had also used the built-in web service and that the intermittent behavior was the same.  This would indicate you have a system issue, not an InfoPath or web service issue.  If two completely separate data connections behave EXACTLY the same, then it indicates a systematic issue.  There is no reason for the built-in User Profile Service itself to behave this way, so it indicates something with your environment.

What is the relevance of the "session stickiness"?  The WFE makes its own call separate from the user's session.

When a data connection times out, it does not retrieve the data, so I'd really look at how the form is built to see if it's making more than one data call due to custom rules or something.

• Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, May 27, 2011 11:52 AM
    Sunday, May 15, 2011 8:26 PM
  • Hi Clayton,

I have a SharePoint 2010 installation with custom InfoPath forms that run in the browser through SharePoint and have a problem similar to what Lex describes where after periods of inactivity, we receive the timeout error. After waiting a minute or two and attempting to open the form again, it opens up immediately without error. Then after a while of inactivity (the next day for example), the error appears again. We have increased the timeout to around 30 seconds but are concerned with increasing it too much at the risk of user impatience.

In the thread Lex replied to that lead to this thread you had said that "After long periods of inactivity, it's likely that your IIS site has to warm up (Just-in-time) again on first use, which is not related to the web service, but is related to SharePoint itself. Once everything is in memory, things will load quickly." Could you expound upon that a little further because that seems to be exactly our case? If increasing the InfoPath Form Service timeout in Central Admin will work we can do that, but I'm wondering if a "wake up" script be usefull? Or is there a way to keep the IIS site running so that it does not idle (or is that not recommended)?

I'm new to the forum here, so sorry if I should have made a new thread. My question applies to the initial topic, but it looks like Lex's somewhat confusing installation drifted off topic. Our SharePoint installation is essentially out-of-the box with very little customization.

Thanks!

Thursday, December 1, 2011 8:18 PM
  • I was also recieving this error.

Warning

An error occurred querying a data source.

Click OK to resume filling out the form. You may want to check your form data for errors.

Hide error details

An error occurred querying a data source.

An entry has been added to the Windows event log of the server.

Log ID:7893

Correlation ID:473c9412-7879-4dd7-9fee-1f497707bd44

What I have done to correct this issue is increased the Data connection Timeouts in Configure Infopath  Services and also created a wakeup script to target http://rootsite/_vti_bin/UserProfileService.asmx 
    Hope this helps
    Luis

Luis A Segura
    • Proposed as answer by Lasegura_ Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:08 PM
    • Edited by Lasegura_ Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:09 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2012 6:06 PM
  • I am actually experiencing this same issue exactly. I have InfoPath 2010 browser forms that are querying the SharePoint 2010 provided web services to get the list of users in a group (for form permissions). The behavior of my issue is slightly different in that it might work for 20 minutes, and then not work for 10, and then work for 5, then not work for 20.

We've looked into resource usage, and even did load-testing, but it simply just works or doesn't work for periods at a time. In fact, some of the times it was working the CPU was extremely loaded, and other times when it wasn't working the CPU was only using ~30%. Based on these tests we've eliminated resources on the front-end servers as the issue.

We tried increasing the timeout to 30 seconds, but that just means it takes 30 seconds before it times out. Growing very frustrated with this as it is blocking the launch of our forms to the department.

Friday, August 3, 2012 1:34 AM
  • My particular issue has been resolved. It turned out that it was a double-hop authentication issue since our server farm uses claims authentication. The normal build process for the servers includes the hosts file update and loopback changes, but they were never put in place when this farm was built. Nightmare solved! I believe I found the answer in another thread with Clayton Cobb's input so many thanks to Clayton!
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 8:17 AM