none
OST to PST Software Coding RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I am currently looking at writing some software that would allow users to be able to create a PST from an OST, I am new to coding and would look to distribute this application for free with no limitations.

I know the task can be done but the software always has limits, however as admins we always need it in the event of a failure hence the above track. If anyone can point me in the right direction for information as what I have found online is fairly useless.

Thank you in advance

MCP, MCTS, MCITP, MCITPVA, MCSA 2012, MCSE Private Cloud, MCSE Server Infrastructure

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 12:57 PM

All replies

• I'm wondering why you would want to write something that is already built into Outlook.  With Outlook, if you export your mailbox to a PST, you have effectively just moved your OST contents to a PST.

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 1:12 PM
  • Apologies for not being clear the requirement comes form a possible loss of Exchange Server that is also a DC for example an SBS environment and the only option is to rebuild hence new user profile and left with a OST file in an old profile that cannot be accessed.

I have only encountered the requirement for the application a couple of times generally when we take on a client that has had poor or no IT support so procedures are not in place. There are applications that work however making one freely available to admins is the main aim here.

MCP, MCTS, MCITP, MCITPVA, MCSA 2012, MCSE Private Cloud, MCSE Server Infrastructure

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 1:40 PM
  • If the profile worked before the server went offline, you can always access an OST if the server is down.  You open Outlook in offline mode, or you disconnect the network cable to the workstation and open Outlook.  Once in offline mode, you export the mailbox to a PST, then reconnect to the (now new) server with a new profile.

Will Martin ...
    -join ('77696c6c406d617274696e2d66616d696c6965732e6f7267' -split '(?<=\G.{2})' | ? { $_ } | % { [char][int]"0x$_" })

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 2:39 PM
  • I feel you are trying to relate to a theoretical issue rather than the information I am requesting. I am after information in relation to the architecture of the OST and coding or code samples to open an OST file that will not be able to be opened within the profile or outlook it was created from, so basically standard operational fixes will not work.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 3:23 PM
  • I understand your question.  I'm saying that Outlook has the ability you are looking for built-in, as well as how to use it.  If you plan to collect all the OSTs from the original locations so you can import them to the new server, you might as well perform a brick-layered backup of your server and recover from that.  It would work faster and would have more pro-active work than the totally reactive solution you are describing.

If this is not what you intend, then you would want to look into EWS to write your "OST to PST" application.  And I still say that those OSTs can be opened and exported by Outlook on the end-user's workstations (take the workstation offline, open Outlook, export to PST), saving you a lot of headache (especially in the ongoing support of this application you are describing).

Will Martin ...

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 3:47 PM
  • Agreed to what Will has suggested above.

In case if you find any interruption while exporting OST data into PST, you may automate the process using this proficient application that seem to be a better alternative approach to get this job done quickly.

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 8:04 AM
  • The request was for help building a free application.  An application that costs money is what he wants to avoid.

Will Martin ...

Wednesday, January 20, 2016 12:48 PM
  • There are so many tools already available which can convert orphaned ost file to usable pst format ranging around from $49 to $99. So whats the point to develop another one, There are so many other tool which are required and which cost too high why don't develop them and distribute them for free..........just saying
    Sunday, January 24, 2016 6:06 AM
  • I know of many tools that are available at various costs and as Will has relayed my intention is to develop the application and make it available at no cost. The reason for this as many people know the requirement to have this is not daily however in a toolkit of an admin/professional is very handy.

In the majority of scenarios the methods listed above would allow a resolution however there are situations where the tool would fit perfectly.

Monday, January 25, 2016 4:12 PM