Assembly Redirection - no SNK redirected to SNK RRS feed

• Question

• The concept of Assembly Redirection is new to me.  For a particular problem we are facing I was pointed to (LINK REMOVED) [Docs>.NET>.NET Framework>Configure apps by using configuration files>Redirecting Assembly Versions].

However, I am skeptical this will solve the problem - and would like ANY advice from those with more experience than me.

The root of my skepticism is that the problem we face is a set of support DLLs that are referenced by a .NET application which were not properly Strongly Named (Signed).  They cannot be recompiled but there are a set of 'replacement' DLLs to which we would like to redirect calls for the original libraries.  The calling application ALSO cannot be recompiled but will be deprecated by the end of the year.

If that makes sense you will understand my hesitation.  Can someone clarify if the Assembly Redirection works when trying to divert from UNSigned to Signed Assemblies?
    To me that "feels" like a security vulnerability.

Thanks, in advance, for any clarity on this.

Monday, July 20, 2020 2:38 PM

All replies

• Hi VimaHolic,

Thank you for posting here.

>>we would like to redirect calls for the original libraries.

If you want to redirect your dlls, you need to create a redirection file for your application.

Check following document to redirect your dlls.

Dynamic-Link Library Redirection

Besides, did you try to sign your dll files with Strong Names?

How to fix “Referenced assembly does not have a strong name” error?

Hope them could be helpful.

Best Regards,

Xingyu Zhao

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 21, 2020 2:13 AM