none
Editing THMX Files? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm trying to customise the colouring of a SharePoint theme. I understand that editing THMX files is a required part of this process. It seems the only tool available out there to do this is Publisher 2010. I find it very tedious however to edit colours in publisher, save the theme, upload it to SharePoint and then re-applying theme, only to find that you want to try a couple of colours tweeks. I usually make around 20 or more modifications to a theme before I'm happy with it, and this process of using publisher to edit THMX is killing me. I've seen in some screenshots, that some installations of SharePoint allow you to edit themes on the actual theme selection page. I do not see this on my installation of SharePoint 2010, and so I'm wondering what needs to be done to enable this capability?

While we're on the topic of theming, is there anyway I can edit the actual CSS? It's my understanding that this is how you customised themes in SharePoint 2007, but this has now be changed because apparently it was too difficult for non-web designers/developers to edit themes. The problem now is that in SharePoint 2010, while it's arguably easier for those unexperienced with CSS, it's now much more difficult for an actual web designer to customise and have control over the look of a SharePoint theme, which is odd, because you'd think that web designers/developers would be the one's most likely to be creating themes than end users. I've observed that a lot of changes in SharePoint 2010 sacrifice developers friendliness in favour of making it easier for developers. I don't understand the logic behind this approach. Anyway...

Cheers

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 1:29 AM

Answers

• Thanks Clayton, that worked. For those who are experiencing the same problem with themes as I, here's some instruction I've written...

----------------

To allow editing of SharePoint 2010 themes from within the SharePoint web interface, enable the following features…

• Site collection features -> SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure.

If you experience an error referring to a field being found in the current site, refer to this blog post: http://pedrosneglectedtechblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/adventures-in-sharepoint-2010-upgrades.html. The fix is to delete whatever content that refers to this field (normally imported/migrated content).
    • Manage site features -> SharePoint Server Publishing.
    You should now be able to edit SharePoint themes from within SharePoint itself.
    • Marked as answer by Tablelands Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:51 AM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 4:37 AM

All replies

• You should be able to edit the theme settings right in SharePoint out-of-the-box.  The first time I installed SP2010 back before Beta, there was a link right on the first page of my team site that took me to the theme settings page.  You're saying you don't see that page, or you have no edit abilities on that page?

You definitely don't need to use Publisher - where did you see that you should use Publisher?  I don't ever even think about that tool, but maybe I should?  You can use PowerPoint to create and modify THMX files.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:18 AM
  • Here's what I see on my "Site Theme" page...

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/950/screenshotsj.png

Am I looking in the right place for the editing functionality?

By the way, I meant "PowerPoint" when I was referring to "Publisher" in my original post.

Tuesday, June 29, 2010 3:54 AM
  • Ah, ok.  Activate the site collection publishing feature.
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 4:05 AM
  • Thanks Clayton, that worked. For those who are experiencing the same problem with themes as I, here's some instruction I've written...

----------------

To allow editing of SharePoint 2010 themes from within the SharePoint web interface, enable the following features…

• Site collection features -> SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure.

If you experience an error referring to a field being found in the current site, refer to this blog post: http://pedrosneglectedtechblog.blogspot.com/2010/03/adventures-in-sharepoint-2010-upgrades.html. The fix is to delete whatever content that refers to this field (normally imported/migrated content).
    • Manage site features -> SharePoint Server Publishing.
    You should now be able to edit SharePoint themes from within SharePoint itself.
    • Marked as answer by Tablelands Tuesday, June 29, 2010 6:51 AM
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 4:37 AM
  • So was that your answer?
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 4:41 AM