none
SharePoint Integrated Mode RRS feed

  • Question

  • Good day,

    A bit of info on the environment: Our Farm Topology consists of only one server. This runs the DB as well as the Web front-end. We are running Reporting Services in SharePoint Integrated Mode also on the same server. We've created have 2 Web Applicaions (8080 & 8081) and on both these portals the rswebparts.cab Web Part Package has been successfully deployed.

     

    Here is the issue: we have been able to deploy and run our RS reports on portal 8080 without any issues but somehow cannot do the same on portal 8081. When deploying the RS reports to 8081 one gets the following error message: "Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error." I then took the deployed reports on portal 8080, using windows explorer mode, put them on the 8081 portal and tried to execute one of them. I got the following error:

    "System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error. ---> Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.SharePointException: Report Server has encountered a SharePoint error. ---> System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportingService2005Impl.GetPermissions(String Item, String[]& Permissions)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WebServer.ReportingService2006.GetPermissions(String Item, String[]& Permissions)
    "

    I then decided to see if I could manage Shared Schedules under Reporting Servics in "Site Settings"; on clicking the Manage Shared Schedule link I got the same exception as above. Can anyone please assist in pointing me towards the reason for this dodgy error?

    Friday, October 28, 2011 12:56 PM

Answers

  • Hello,

    Based on the error message I suspect it is some kind of permission issue.
        Do you see any other errors in the application log?
        Are there any errors visible in the SQL Profiler trace (like any access or login errors for SharePoint or reporting database)?
        Is the service account for both SSRS the same? What about the Reporting services application pool identity?
        Does the SSRS services account have access to the SharePoint database?
        What are the involved accounts?

    Check this article:
        Security Overview for Reporting Services in SharePoint Integrated Mode
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb283324.aspx


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

    Thanks,
    Orsi
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    • Marked as answer by Aquila Hanise Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:13 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Aquila Hanise Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aquila Hanise Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:16 AM
    Monday, November 7, 2011 2:31 PM

All replies

  • Hello,

    Based on the error message I suspect it is some kind of permission issue.
        Do you see any other errors in the application log?
        Are there any errors visible in the SQL Profiler trace (like any access or login errors for SharePoint or reporting database)?
        Is the service account for both SSRS the same? What about the Reporting services application pool identity?
        Does the SSRS services account have access to the SharePoint database?
        What are the involved accounts?

    Check this article:
        Security Overview for Reporting Services in SharePoint Integrated Mode
        http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb283324.aspx


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

    Thanks,
    Orsi
    Microsoft Online Community Support

    • Marked as answer by Aquila Hanise Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:13 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Aquila Hanise Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aquila Hanise Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:16 AM
    Monday, November 7, 2011 2:31 PM
  • Good Day Orsi,

     

    Thank you for the reply... It seems that the issues was permissions after all. My colleague found the solution by looking at the application log. The service account did not have write permissions on the Content Database.

     

    Thank you for your reply.

     

    Regards,

    Aquila Hanise
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 7:18 AM