none
SPD Approval Workflow approval status is always approved RRS feed

Answers

• Actually, as per your instruction i have turned on the content Approval and tested. but no positive result. Since we are new to SP technologies and dont have much time to explore it, we just follow the trick. Hope, will analyze it later.

New to the technology and don't have much time so you'll just do hacks?  Ouch.  That's destined for disaster.  Good luck.

There's no way you turned on Content Approval and the behavior stayed the same.  There is nothing that would keep the items always in an approved state.  That only happens when content approval isn't turned on.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force

• Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, November 5, 2010 4:05 AM
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 3:02 PM

All replies

• Did you turn on Content Approval in the list?  If not, then the approval system is not active regardless of the workflow and tasks.  Content Approval must be turned on before anything will be in Pending state.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 4:25 PM
  • Hi Clayton Cobb,

Thanks for your info. we solved it by setting the WF varable in TaskApproval WF.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 1:19 AM
  • Can you explain that?  That doesn't make sense to me.  You said the approval status was always approved regardless of the workflow, so how would setting a workflow variable change that?
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 1:54 AM
  • We have set the WF variable as task outcome field value in "When a Task Completes" section in Task Behaviours (Custom WF -> Editor -> Approval WF ->Task Behaviours) and check that varible in custom WF for Approved/Rejected status (instead of checking Approval Status parameter). Hope it explains. Thanks
    Monday, November 1, 2010 1:35 AM
  • We have set the WF variable as task outcome field value in "When a Task Completes" section in Task Behaviours (Custom WF -> Editor -> Approval WF ->Task Behaviours) and check that varible in custom WF for Approved/Rejected status (instead of checking Approval Status parameter). Hope it explains. Thanks

That means you didn't fix the issue and worked around it.  That's probably not a good idea.  You edited the workflow to work differently than intended even though OOTB it's built specifically to do what you need.  If you're ok with that, then carry on, but I wouldn't be.

Did you even try what I suggested in my first reply?  If not, it seems that would have made more sense to do.

Monday, November 1, 2010 3:12 AM
  • Actually, as per your instruction i have turned on the content Approval and tested. but no positive result. Since we are new to SP technologies and dont have much time to explore it, we just follow the trick. Hope, will analyze it later.
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 3:40 AM

New to the technology and don't have much time so you'll just do hacks?  Ouch.  That's destined for disaster.  Good luck.

There's no way you turned on Content Approval and the behavior stayed the same.  There is nothing that would keep the items always in an approved state.  That only happens when content approval isn't turned on.

• Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Friday, November 5, 2010 4:05 AM
    Wednesday, November 3, 2010 3:02 PM
  • So, many years later I stumbled on this issue too. And I made sense out of it. I think the "Approved Status" you were talking about is different than the "Outcome of the Approval Task". In other words:

Approval Status - This can be true or false depending if you have content approval turned on or not. This is controlling if the form is going to be published as a major version or not.

Outcome of the Approval WF - This is the actual outcome of the WorkFlow from the WF approval, not the form itself.

It is a little misleading as they share the word "approval".

At least this is how I look at it. Hope it rings a bell.

• Edited by PCHS007 Wednesday, December 2, 2015 1:01 AM
    Wednesday, December 2, 2015 1:01 AM