none
Approval Workflow - Dynamic Approvers (Using security group not single user(s)) RRS feed

• Question

• My current company has around 250 branches all our the US and we have 250 security groups in AD which has all the associates in the branch. Now the requirement is to randomly select some the branches and send them an evaluation form every quarter. We also has to send reminder after 2 weeks.

I am thinking of utilizing OOB approval process. But my question is

1. Can we utilize the security group to assign the approval task? if yes does this assign an individual task to each of the associate in that security group?

2. Can we select multiple security groups in one go? Initiation form with a people picker to select multiple security groups and assign tasks to each associate in each security group?

If we cannot assign task to individual user in each branch security group, can we do so by creating SharePoint groups for 250 branches?

• Edited by ViviSP Monday, August 28, 2017 3:11 PM
    Monday, August 28, 2017 3:10 PM

Answers

• Hi ViviSP,

We can send emails to the member of AD security groups using workflow.

To be able to send emails to AD security groups, the groups must be created as Universal Security Groups and we must attach a distribution list to the security group in exchange. To allow SharePoint to email the mail enabled security group we need to either create a mailbox for the SharePoint service account, or attach the email address provided in the Outbound Email Settings as an additional email alias for a mailbox.

Information about mail-enabled security groups:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123521(v=exchg.150).aspx

But we cannot create tasks for each member in the security group. If you check the tasks, you will see that SharePoint create a new task for the group, not each member of the group.

To achieve your requirement, you need to add users to SharePoint groups.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by ViviSP Tuesday, September 5, 2017 1:57 PM
    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 9:21 AM

All replies

• Hi ViviSP,

We can send emails to the member of AD security groups using workflow.

To be able to send emails to AD security groups, the groups must be created as Universal Security Groups and we must attach a distribution list to the security group in exchange. To allow SharePoint to email the mail enabled security group we need to either create a mailbox for the SharePoint service account, or attach the email address provided in the Outbound Email Settings as an additional email alias for a mailbox.

Information about mail-enabled security groups:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123521(v=exchg.150).aspx

But we cannot create tasks for each member in the security group. If you check the tasks, you will see that SharePoint create a new task for the group, not each member of the group.

To achieve your requirement, you need to add users to SharePoint groups.

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by ViviSP Tuesday, September 5, 2017 1:57 PM
    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 9:21 AM
  • Linda,

Thank you so much for clarifying. 

Can the SharePoint group be selected dynamically? For example, in my scenario each quarter the evaluations are sent to multiple branches dynamically i.e Q1 evaluations are sent Branch 3 & 4, Q2 evaluations are sent to Branch 10,12 & 15 etc. I tried creating a people picker field in the initiation form to select the SharePoint groups dynamically. But the workflow throws error(below) when assigning a task to the SharePoint group. Any resolution to that?

"Coercion warning: user or group does not have a valid e-mail address."

This is same even if I sent just one SharePoint group.

If this is not possible SharePoint designer, what are my options to achieve this?

• Edited by ViviSP Tuesday, August 29, 2017 2:46 PM
    Tuesday, August 29, 2017 2:46 PM
  • Hi ViviSP,

When configure workflow action - Send an Email on workflow canvas in SharePoint Designer, if Data source is Person or Group from Initiation Form, set "Return field as" to either "Login Name" or "Login Names, Semicolon Delimited" depending on if you allow multiple groups.

For more information, refer to the following article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2679159/spd-workflow-cannot-send-email-to-group-s-from-initiation-form

Best Regards,

Linda Zhang

Friday, September 1, 2017 7:56 AM
  • Thank you Linda for your time and explanations. I appreciate it.

ViviSP

Tuesday, September 5, 2017 1:58 PM