none
Wiki and Blogs in a Sharepoint Site RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I am new to Sharepoint.I want to create a Sharepoint site and include the blogs and wiki in it. Is it possible to create a blank site and then add blogs and wiki in it? If so, how?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Kushal

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 11:05 AM

Answers

• Howdy,

While it is possible to re-create the Blog functionality in an empty site, it's going to be much easier just to create a Blog site itself. There are lists set up by default to give a site "Blog" functionality.

As far as a Wiki goes, this is a type of Site Collection, and it's probably a better approach to deal with a Wiki as one entity, and have other non-Wiki sites in its own entity (i.e. another site collection).

Does this make sense?

Regards,

George 

George Begbie | Software Consultant | MCTS SharePoint 2010 Application Development
    • Marked as answer by Kushal Khera Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:37 AM
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 11:19 AM
  • Hi Kushal,

Enterprise Wiki will only appear when you create a new Site Collection (e.g. through Central Administration). So you cannot create this under a top-level site (or indeed any other site), the Enterprise Wiki is itself a top-level site.

If you want to create a Forum you can try creating a Discussion Board list within one of your sites.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

George Begbie | Software Consultant | MCTS SharePoint 2010 Application Development
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:50 PM

All replies

• Howdy,

While it is possible to re-create the Blog functionality in an empty site, it's going to be much easier just to create a Blog site itself. There are lists set up by default to give a site "Blog" functionality.

As far as a Wiki goes, this is a type of Site Collection, and it's probably a better approach to deal with a Wiki as one entity, and have other non-Wiki sites in its own entity (i.e. another site collection).

Does this make sense?

Regards,

George 

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 11:19 AM
  • Hi Kushal,

Thanks for your post.

SharePoint 2010 Site Templates – A Detailed Journey (Part 1)
    http://weblogs.asp.net/bsimser/archive/2010/07/27/sharepoint-2010-site-templates-a-detailed-journey-part-1.aspx

Create an Enterprise wiki (SharePoint Server 2010)
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee837434.aspx

SharePoint-2010-Blog-Site-Template
    http://www.glynblogs.com/2010/08/creating-a-latest-blog-posts-web-part.html/sharepoint-2010-blog-site-template

Hope it helps.

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 11:23 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks all for the replies.  I have a home site and I have created a new site (home site being the parent site) and have successfully navigated both using To Link Bar in the look and feel option. But probelm is whenever I go to 'New Site' option, enterprise wiki doesnt come up. Can anyone help me out with this? I have another query. Can we create a forum in Sharepoint site?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Kushal

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 12:29 PM
  • Hi Kushal,

Enterprise Wiki will only appear when you create a new Site Collection (e.g. through Central Administration). So you cannot create this under a top-level site (or indeed any other site), the Enterprise Wiki is itself a top-level site.

If you want to create a Forum you can try creating a Discussion Board list within one of your sites.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 2:50 PM
  • Thanks George!

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 7:38 AM
  • Hi George,

I have another query regarding Enterprise Wiki. I need to know the difference between wiki page and enterprise wiki. I know that we can add wiki page in a site whereas Enterprise Wiki is an independent site collection. Apart from this, I need to know the difference in functionality between the two.

Thanks

Regards

Kushal

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:29 AM