none
Unable to search based on number column in a custom list RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Team,

I created a custom list with some free text, number, choice column etc. When I try to filter the data on the number column using in-place search box (while staying in the list or library context); I do not get the correct results. 

How can I correct this ?

Regards

Mridul Arora

Monday, October 14, 2019 11:54 AM

Answers

• yes mridul. you can use those ootb managed properties but as per your requirement refinable property is not a solution. OOTB refinable properties are not searchable that means you wont be able to perform free text search but they are queryable that means you can query like - managedpropertyname:xxxxxx

So create a new property make sure it's seachable, queryable.

K Mohit

• Marked as answer by Mridul Arora Tuesday, October 15, 2019 2:19 PM
    Monday, October 14, 2019 7:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Mridul,

You need to create a managed property for your custom number column and map it to the crawl property. Name of your crawl property should be ows_InterNameOfColumn. Here is a sample link - 

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/93cb27/create-managed-search-property-in-sharepoint-online/

Once the mapping is complete you need to do a full crawl or need to reset the index of your list.

K Mohit

Monday, October 14, 2019 2:51 PM
  • Hi Mohit,

Thanks for reverting on this. Quick Question - Do I need to create a new managed metadata property and run a full crawl OR can I also use the existing managed property with no existing mapping and then map my crawled property and then I would not probably need a full crawl; I guess ? Please let me know if this works. Why I am asking for second approach is since I have access to Site Collection Search Schema but do not have access to Search Service Application (not being a FARM ADMIN).

Also in case of using the existing managed property, seems I would only need to wait for next Continuous/Incremental Crawl rather than a 

Kindly confirm. Thanks in Advance.

Regards

Mridul Arora

• Edited by Mridul Arora Monday, October 14, 2019 3:19 PM Description added
    Monday, October 14, 2019 3:17 PM
  • Hi Mridul,

You are going to need crawl no matter what approach you take. Full crawl is what I have done in sharepoint 2013 and I can confirm it will work. You can click on list setting>advanced setting>Re index this list and based on your crawl schedule your managed property will be updated and you don't need to run a full crawl. This is what I have done in SharePoint online. So yes based on your crawl configuration it will work.

I will suggest you to create a new managed property because existing managed property may be mapped to some crawl properties.

K Mohit

• Edited by KumarMohiT Monday, October 14, 2019 4:03 PM
    Monday, October 14, 2019 3:58 PM
  • OK, So my understanding is that it is not mandatory to have a New Managed Property. Seems I do have lot of unmapped managed properties like refinableInt etc. and I can use them for mapping rather than creating a new one and this will work after the next crawl. Please correct if I am wrong ?

Regards

Mridul Arora

Monday, October 14, 2019 7:15 PM
  • yes mridul. you can use those ootb managed properties but as per your requirement refinable property is not a solution. OOTB refinable properties are not searchable that means you wont be able to perform free text search but they are queryable that means you can query like - managedpropertyname:xxxxxx

So create a new property make sure it's seachable, queryable.

K Mohit

• Marked as answer by Mridul Arora Tuesday, October 15, 2019 2:19 PM
    Monday, October 14, 2019 7:39 PM
  • Hi Mridul Arora,

I agree with KumarMohiT’s point of view.

If you find any replies helpful to you, please remember to mark them as answers.

It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Julie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Tuesday, October 15, 2019 8:01 AM
  • Hi KumarMohiT,

I’m pleased you have solved your issues successfully.

Here I will provide a summary of this post for your information.

[Unable to search based on number column in a custom list]

Situation

====================

SharePoint Server 2013

Question

====================

When users create some list column and want to search with column : value, users will not get correct results.

Solution

====================

According to KumarMohiT’s reply, it’s necessary to create a managed property for custom list column and map it to the crawl property.

And the name of the crawl property should be ows_InterNameOfColumn, once the mapping is complete, user could do a full crawl.

Besides, user could also use OOB managed property or create the new managed property manually and select the correct properties of the managed property.

Reference ====================

https://www.c-sharpcorner.com/UploadFile/93cb27/create-managed-search-property-in-sharepoint-online/

Best Regards,

Julie

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 11:06 AM