none
Append records to Access database from ODBC RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have created a DNS file to import data from Lotus Notes table(.NSF) to Access file. Every time, I can import the data from this table or Link Table. But is it possible to append records from Lots Notes database to Access Database. Currently, I am  using ODBC Lotus Notes driver for import & linking.

Thanks in Advance,

Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:06 AM

All replies

• Are you saying that you have successfully created the Linked Table for the Lotus Notes Table in your Access database using the DSN?

If yes, then you can use the Linked Table (just like local Access Tables) as the data source for your Append Query to add records to your Access Table.

Van Dinh

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 2:40 AM
  • Yes, I tried that option, but it takes more time & gets hang.
    Wednesday, January 29, 2014 4:16 AM
  • 1.  >>but it takes more time & gets hang<<

Takes more time than what (process)???

2. Are the data types from the source Fields (Lotus Notes) compatible with Access data-types?

3.  When you open the Datasheet of the Linked Table, do you see all the data required for the append?

Van Dinh

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 7:52 AM
  • It takes more time to display data in link table & If I try to append data, it says data is huge more than 2 gb not able to execute. I can import to new table.  In Link table displays all the data.

Rgds,

Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:26 AM
  • I'm sorry, but you are not making sense.

What do you want to accomplish? How were you trying to do it? ... The details, like the SQL statements or code.  What errors do you encounter?

As I see it now, you have linked to a Lotus Notes table using a DSN to store the ODBC connection information. You have tried to IMPORT the Lotus Notes data into a Local Table object, but that operation increased the size of the database beyond the 2G limit allowed by Access data files.

So ... what comes next ... do you really need ALL the data in a Local Table object?, or do you just want some of it?

Brent Spaulding | Access MVP

Thursday, January 30, 2014 5:36 AM
  • Hi,

I am in a similar situation. I had data in a Azure db. I wanted to have the exact same copy of the data in access. So I used odbc DSN to import the Azure data into access. Now I want to update the data in access on a weekly basis so that the new data in Azure only gets appended to each data table in access. I am looking for a way so that the new data just appends to the existing access table instead of importing the entire table from Azure. 

I do not want to go the route of linked tables.

Wednesday, October 23, 2019 7:31 PM
  • You will need some code to dynamically connect to Lotus Notes...check the Number Of Records (recordcount) ..check the size and accordingly append the data to your table or dump them to a new database to avoid the 2g limit.
    Friday, October 25, 2019 8:09 AM