none
Manipulate Startup Folder By Changing Registry Setting RRS feed

• Question

• I have a need to set the startup folder for Outlook via a RegEdit merge. Is it possible to this via the registry or can this only be done via the client?

Dear Mr. Moderator, - This is NOT an end-user issue as the specific need is to set the startup folder with minimal effort. The goal is to use to do a registry merge that sets the value along with several other changes to the registry to stream line the implementation of a project that replaces Outlook Today with a custom ASP.NET dashboard.

David H
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 1:10 PM

Answers

• It's stored as part of the registry settings for each Outlook profile at

HKEY_USERS\your sid#\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\your profile name\0a0d020000000000c000000000000046\001e0336

I haven't seen anything much in the way of documentation on the formatting of the values except for some detective work discussed at http://www.outlookcode.com/threads.aspx?forumid=2&messageid=4387.

Normally you'd change the profile using Extended MAPI code and C++ or Delphi/Pascal. You might also be able to use the ProfMan library that comes with Redemption.

You can use ProcMon to see what registry changes are made when you change the startup folder in the UI. You will need the long-term EntryID and the StoreID for the folder you want to set as the startup folder, those values will be completely different from system to system and will have to be read and preserved.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"David Holley" <=?utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgSG9sbGV5?=> wrote in message news:7dbfdcf2-56a1-49bd-8c5f-093e9e050bc5...

I have a need to set the startup folder for Outlook via a RegEdit merge. Is it possible to this via the registry or can this only be done via the client?

Dear Mr. Moderator, - This is NOT an end-user issue as the specific need is to set the startup folder with minimal effort. The goal is to use to do a registry merge that sets the value along with several other changes to the registry to stream line the implementation of a project that replaces Outlook Today with a custom ASP.NET dashboard.

David H

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 2:25 PM

All replies

• It's stored as part of the registry settings for each Outlook profile at

HKEY_USERS\your sid#\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\your profile name\0a0d020000000000c000000000000046\001e0336

I haven't seen anything much in the way of documentation on the formatting of the values except for some detective work discussed at http://www.outlookcode.com/threads.aspx?forumid=2&messageid=4387.

Normally you'd change the profile using Extended MAPI code and C++ or Delphi/Pascal. You might also be able to use the ProfMan library that comes with Redemption.

You can use ProcMon to see what registry changes are made when you change the startup folder in the UI. You will need the long-term EntryID and the StoreID for the folder you want to set as the startup folder, those values will be completely different from system to system and will have to be read and preserved.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"David Holley" <=?utf-8?B?RGF2aWQgSG9sbGV5?=> wrote in message news:7dbfdcf2-56a1-49bd-8c5f-093e9e050bc5...

I have a need to set the startup folder for Outlook via a RegEdit merge. Is it possible to this via the registry or can this only be done via the client?

David H

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 2:25 PM
  • Thanks. I ran across something that suggested that it was an encoded value which I wasn't too thrilled with if that was the case. Every user's Outlook will be pointed to start on their Mailbox. Its a 50/50 bet if a reg merge will work since it might a fully qualified path requiring the users name. I'm guessing that it is a FRP.
    David H
    Tuesday, November 8, 2011 2:32 PM