none
Customizing Excel via Visual Studio 2010: Creating a custom Tab using the Ribbon Designer RRS feed

• Question

• I have begun creating a custom tab in Excel for my company. I got started by using this Walkthrough: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb386104.aspx , and so far I can see the new tab after running my Visual Studio project (C# is my choice of language). i.e. The company tab is available and I can also click on the Action Panes that I created, etc.

However, I am now trying to have a go at "rolling out" the Excel addin on my desktop.

I have "Published" the setup code to my local drive (Visual Studio 2010\Projects\MyExcelRibbon3\MyExcelRibbon3\publish\) and was able to run the SETUP.EXE file. It says it's all installed but I cannot see the new company group in Excel each time I launch Excel in Win 7.

One of my main questions is:

1) What is the correct PROJECT TYPE I need to create in order to accomplish this rollout to each user desktop. In other words, do I create an "Excel Workbook" project as I did here in the walkthrough example above, or do I create an "Excel Addin" project.

Funny thing is that I CAN in fact see that my Excel project in Add/Remove program in control panel, but can't see my new Excel tab when I launch Excel from scratch.

Any ideas on this ? My apologies if I'm not so clear. I am still trying to learn the best approach to customizing Excel , etc.

Thanks,

Bob

Thursday, May 5, 2011 4:47 PM

Answers

• I have begun creating a custom tab in Excel for my company. I got started by using this Walkthrough: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb386104.aspx , and so far I can see the new tab after running my Visual Studio project (C# is my choice of language). i.e. The company tab is available and I can also click on the Action Panes that I created, etc.

However, I am now trying to have a go at "rolling out" the Excel addin on my desktop.

I have "Published" the setup code to my local drive (Visual Studio 2010\Projects\MyExcelRibbon3\MyExcelRibbon3\publish\) and was able to run the SETUP.EXE file. It says it's all installed but I cannot see the new company group in Excel each time I launch Excel in Win 7.

One of my main questions is:

1) What is the correct PROJECT TYPE I need to create in order to accomplish this rollout to each user desktop. In other words, do I create an "Excel Workbook" project as I did here in the walkthrough example above, or do I create an "Excel Addin" project.

Funny thing is that I CAN in fact see that my Excel project in Add/Remove program in control panel, but can't see my new Excel tab when I launch Excel from scratch.

Any ideas on this ? My apologies if I'm not so clear. I am still trying to learn the best approach to customizing Excel , etc.

Hi,

It depends on your requirement to determine which kind of project you need.

Worbook project is document-lever.

Excel Add-in is application level.

See the document below will figure out your doubt:

Architecture of Document-Level Customizations

Getting Started Programming Document-Level Customizations for Excel

Getting Started Programming Application-Level Add-Ins

I hope this helps

Best Regards, Calvin Gao [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, May 9, 2011 12:47 PM