none
Save as template button is disabled RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I want to save a site as template so I can create a new site based on this template.
    In SP2007 this was easy by opening site settings > site actions > save as template
    In SP2010 this link is missing, and in SharePoint Designer the button in the ribbon is greyed out.

All of the sites in SharePoint show this behavior, I cannot save any of my sites as template (the link is not there in SharePoint, and in SPD the button is disabled).
    Do I need to enable some feature in SP2010 first in order to use this functionality ?

Friday, October 15, 2010 11:41 AM

Answers

• Are you by chance attempting to save a publishing site as a template? If so then saving it as a template won't show up and isn't supported by MSFT.
    Chris Poteet MCTS
    • Proposed as answer by Clayton Cobb Friday, October 15, 2010 4:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:39 AM
    Friday, October 15, 2010 4:39 PM

All replies

• Probably useful to add that this is an upgraded SP2007 installation (followed the MS procedures to upgrade from 2007 > 2010).
    We have a test server which is a new SP2010 installation and there I do have the save as template link, and the button is enabled in SPD2010.

So it definately has something to do with the upgraded environment, but what is the cause ?
    Friday, October 15, 2010 12:52 PM
  • Are you by chance attempting to save a publishing site as a template? If so then saving it as a template won't show up and isn't supported by MSFT.
    Chris Poteet MCTS
    • Proposed as answer by Clayton Cobb Friday, October 15, 2010 4:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by Wayne Fan Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:39 AM
    Friday, October 15, 2010 4:39 PM
  • Chris is correct.  Publishing sites are not supported for being saved as templates, but you can get to the "save as template" page in the browser by appending this to your URL: /_layouts/savetmpl.aspx.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Proposed as answer by e v e r n i t e Wednesday, December 14, 2011 12:27 PM
    Friday, October 15, 2010 6:46 PM
  • Clayton,

In some cases this can generate an error when we will apply this generated template.

Exists another method to generate a template of a publishing site? Of preference safe.
    Friday, December 3, 2010 3:20 PM
  • No, it's not supported.  Doing it is at your own risk.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Friday, December 3, 2010 4:05 PM
  • When we have a site collection with their subsites using publishing site feature, and we want to generate a "site template", what's the best approach (backup/restore via stsadm)?

SP2010!!!

Thursday, December 9, 2010 4:07 PM