none
how to inherit Folder's properties when adding a new file RRS feed

• Question

• In my library, there are some managed metadata columns. For example, the Company columns

I want to know whether it is possible to realize the functions below.

1. If I add a new file to test folder, is it possible to set the folder' property (example: Company) to the new file by default?

2. I know I can use quick edit to set the folder's properties. Is it also possible to change the files' properties which are in the folder?

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 2:35 AM

Answers

•  

Hi Jeff,

For your first request, it is achievable by "Column default value settings". 

1. Go to the document Library > Library settings > Column default value settings under General Settings 

2. Click the folder that you want to modify in the left

3. Click on the metadata column’s name  

4. Select “Use this default value” and insert a value 

5. Click OK 

The files created or uploaded to this folder will automatically be filled with this property. 

For your second request, the files in this folder can also be modified with Quick Edit. Go into the folder and you will find Quick Edit button under LIBRARY in the ribbon.

Best regards,

Chelsea

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 8:53 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Jeff,

For your first request, it is achievable by "Column default value settings". 

1. Go to the document Library > Library settings > Column default value settings under General Settings 

2. Click the folder that you want to modify in the left

3. Click on the metadata column’s name  

4. Select “Use this default value” and insert a value 

5. Click OK 

The files created or uploaded to this folder will automatically be filled with this property. 

For your second request, the files in this folder can also be modified with Quick Edit. Go into the folder and you will find Quick Edit button under LIBRARY in the ribbon.

Best regards,

Chelsea

Wednesday, April 17, 2019 8:53 AM
  • I think document set is also a good way to solve the problem.
    Thursday, April 18, 2019 3:27 AM