none
Sharepoint Search in Secured PDFs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi..I am using sharepoint 2010..We have number of PDF documents which are secured..that means copy protected (restriction on content copy and paste) and print protected..

I tried installing Adobe PDF ifilter v 6 & then V9 also. But these documents are not been searched.

Any thoughts ?

Regards,

Ajinkya

Thursday, July 4, 2013 8:42 AM

Answers

• It looks like you're not going to be able to index these PDFs unless you upload them into SharePoint in their unprotected format - is this possible?  If you only need to protect the PDFs you are issuing out to a 3rd party then you could potentially just store the unprotected versions and then lock down the ones that are shared out.

There are alternatives but this will mean some change to your environment - one option could be to install a rights management service on your network which can control who can access PDFs but still allows SharePoint to index the content.

Matty

Please remember to mark my response as "answered" if this solves your problem

Monday, July 8, 2013 10:27 AM

All replies

• The standard iFilters will not allow SharePoint to index secured PDFs, depending on how you are locking these down, you may be able to install an alternative iFilter which will allow the process to index the content - http://help.adobe.com/en_US/livecycle/11.0/sharepoint_iFilter_RM_docs.pdf

There are other alternatives, such as adding an additional 'keywords' column for these content types, you would need to rely on the user to enter useful information in here to assist in searching and you would not get full-text search capabilities.  Another option may be a full rights-management solution, so the original content uploaded into SharePoint would be a Word document and then rely on rights management to lock the content down as users download it, but this may be too complex and would require change to the way users work.

Thursday, July 4, 2013 11:12 AM
  • Just to check, after you've installed the PDF iFilters, have you: -

• Restarted the Search Service
    • Restarted the servers

Cheers,

Steven Andrews

SharePoint Business Analyst

Blog: Steve's SharePoint Space  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Thursday, July 4, 2013 4:25 PM
  • Do the File Types option contains PDF in search service service application?
    Thursday, July 4, 2013 6:08 PM
  • Ajnkyal

Install it on the server running the SharePoint Search Service instead of all front end servers. If you’re not sure what server in the farm is running the search service, do the following:

1. In Central Admin, under the System Settings section, click Manage services on server.
    2. Note the name of the server shown in the server drop down menu found towards the top of the page. In the list of services, look for the service named SharePoint Server Search.
    3. If the status of this service is Started, make note of the server name shown in the server drop down menu. If the service’s status is Stopped, select another server in the drop down menu and continue to do this until the server running the SharePoint Server Search service is selected.

Please refer the following link for more information.
    http://www.anuragg.com/2012/10/how-to-configure-pdf-ifilter-on.html 

Regards,

karim.

Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves your problem.

Thursday, July 4, 2013 7:38 PM
  • Thanks for your responses. The PDFs have been secure using acrobat professional XI..where in the changes allowed & Print allow is set to None. Also 'Enable copying of text, images and other content' option is unchecked. This is how I am print & copy protecting PDF.

Sharepoint is able to search in other PDFs which are not print or copy protected.

Regards,

Ajinkya

Friday, July 5, 2013 8:58 AM
  • Thanks Ajinkya,

You will need to contact someone in the Adobe support team for this - they should (hopefully) have an iFilter which will be allowed to override the copy/print restrictions which are being set on the protected PDFs so it can crawl the text and add this to the index.

Matty

Friday, July 5, 2013 9:24 AM
  • I spoke to Adobe. Looks like they do not have the ifilter that can index copy-protected documents or may be they do not want to give that.

Regards,

Ajinkya

Monday, July 8, 2013 10:08 AM
  • It looks like you're not going to be able to index these PDFs unless you upload them into SharePoint in their unprotected format - is this possible?  If you only need to protect the PDFs you are issuing out to a 3rd party then you could potentially just store the unprotected versions and then lock down the ones that are shared out.

There are alternatives but this will mean some change to your environment - one option could be to install a rights management service on your network which can control who can access PDFs but still allows SharePoint to index the content.

Matty

Monday, July 8, 2013 10:27 AM