none
Sharepoint 2010 Infopath landscape portrait combining RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I need an infopath document that has a section that will display and print in portrait orientation, and another section that will display and print in landscape orientation.

This is easy with MS Word, all you do is "insert a section break" and you can set the page orientation to either landscape or portrait. In this way, using section breaks, MS Word allows you to combine portrait and landscape page orientation in the same document. 

MS Office Infopath 2010 software (which we use with Sharepoint 2010) allows you to have different views in the same Infopath document. These views are selectable in the browser and infopath. Infopath also allows you to "Print Multiple Views" and set the page orientation to either landscape or portrait in the process.

Unfortunately however, when you use the "print multiple views" feature in infopath it only allows printing in one orientation, so you cannot print one view in landscape and the other view in portrait, it simply prints all views in either portrait or landscape regardless as to the page orientation setting for each view. The orientation is determined by the orientation set when using the "print mulitple views" feature which is applied to ALL views.

I did read somewhere that the browser does not support combining and printing a single document in landscape and portrait combinations. In fact IE 8 will only ever print portrait unless you change it to landscape using the print preview feature of IE 8.

When the document is viewed in Infopath you can view and print in landscape or portrait but not both, its one or the other.

Oy vey I say.

The "print multiple views" feature looks like it can do it but it can't. It allows you to set an individual page orientation for each view but then only uses the most recently set page orientation on the most recently set view and applies it to all views, making it impossible to print all views and maintain the page orientation of each individual view.

These needs to be fixed and it needs to work from the IE browser too.

Can anyone tell me if Sharepoint and Infopath will ever allow viewing and printing of a combination or portrait and landscape in one document?

• Moved by Clayton Cobb Thursday, November 18, 2010 3:02 AM 2010 question (From:SharePoint - InfoPath Forms Services (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 2:46 AM

Answers

• Much appreciated Clayton, I await your response with much anticipation.

Sonic, here is the response from the InfoPath team:

"This is great feedback.  We actually are gated by IE’s print behavior, since they provide our rendering surface.   These customers should look into the Word print view feature, which allows them to define an XSLT transform to create a Word document, which is then sent to Word for printing when a user prints the InfoPath form.  The Word doc can include and print multiple sections with different orientations.  "

Here is an article talking about Print View for Word: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/infopath-help/design-a-print-view-HP001098103.aspx

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by SonicVader Monday, January 31, 2011 3:31 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by SonicVader Wednesday, February 2, 2011 10:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by SonicVader Thursday, June 26, 2014 3:53 AM
    Friday, December 17, 2010 7:08 PM

All replies

• This is the pre-2010 forum.  Please post 2010 questions in the 2010 forum (I will move this one).

You're asking a lot for InfoPath, since this is Word's domain, but it does also seem like the functionality is VERY close to being there.  I will run it across the product team to see what they say.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 3:00 AM
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 3:24 AM

Sonic, here is the response from the InfoPath team:

"This is great feedback.  We actually are gated by IE’s print behavior, since they provide our rendering surface.   These customers should look into the Word print view feature, which allows them to define an XSLT transform to create a Word document, which is then sent to Word for printing when a user prints the InfoPath form.  The Word doc can include and print multiple sections with different orientations.  "

Here is an article talking about Print View for Word: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/infopath-help/design-a-print-view-HP001098103.aspx

• Marked as answer by SonicVader Monday, January 31, 2011 3:31 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by SonicVader Wednesday, February 2, 2011 10:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by SonicVader Thursday, June 26, 2014 3:53 AM
    Friday, December 17, 2010 7:08 PM
  • Thanks Clayton, much appreciated, I will go test this and let you know if it works (for me) before I tick your answer. Thanks. brb. 
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 11:35 PM
  • Thanks Clayton, much appreciated, I will go test this and let you know if it works (for me) before I tick your answer. Thanks. brb. 

Hi Clayton

Just to let you know I did have a good go at this and struck a few problems mostly in my opinion because of features that have been dropped in infopath 2010 that were there in ip 2003 and 2007 :(

This is the best artical I found that desribes how you can create a print view for word which, in theory, would allow me to combine portrait and landscape in the same view.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/infopath-help/design-a-print-view-HP001098103.aspx

You also should read this article too as it tells you that you must first download and install the IP2003 SDK.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/infopath-help/design-a-view-that-is-optimized-for-printing-HA010151438.aspx 

And you need this one to learn how to modify the xslt for your form:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/infopath-help/extract-or-combine-the-form-files-for-a-form-template-HP010064659.aspx#BM2

Sadly this article (the first one above) is written for IP 2003. It may even apply to IP 2007, but definately not IP 2010.

The final instruction in the article says:

"In the Select an existing view to use when printing this view list, click the Word-based print view "

Ummm, this feature does not exist in IP2010 and there is no equivilant.

So, I tried to create my own xslt from word and substitute (see second and third articles) and it almost worked :( Problem is without that feature all I could think of was to overwrite the ip210 generated xls file with my own word generated file. No luck, I just got an error when I tried to open the form in design mode.

Also when I created the xls file from word 2010 I was forced to save it as a docx (because word2010 will loose all the formatting if you save as a "doc" type) but the wizard that generated the xls (see article 3  and read download instructions for the ip2003 sdk) ) was designed for ip2003 so it is expecting a doc file and not a docx file. I tried it with a docx file anyway and it generated the xls file just fine. But without the feature "Select an existing view to use when printing this view" there is no way to select it in design mode, so I tried to overwite the ip2010 generated xls with my word generated one but the form will error when you try to load it in desgn mode.

Oy vey again I say.

Are there any intructions on how to do this with IP2010 and Word2010?

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 10:27 PM