none
Can I use VS2019 Community Edition with Oracle Database? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

Can I use VS2019 Community Edition with Oracle Database? 

If yes, which version of ODAC should I install.

My system is windows 8.1, x64 and I have Oracle database 11g xe r2 installed.

Thanks

Laborare est Orare...

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 3:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Glogo,

Sorry for delay in reply.

> > Can I use VS2019 Community Edition with Oracle Database? 

## I’m afraid that the answer might be negative. As far as I know, Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio supports Visual Studio 2017, Visual Studio 2015 and earlier versions but not supports Visual Studio 2019 currently.

## You could follow this post to check the newly update about Oracle support for Visual Studio 2019, and refer more from Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio.

Hope this will be helpful and have a nice day.

Best Regards,

Tianyu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 5, 2019 9:34 AM
  • Hi Glogo,

l agree with Tianyu's suggestion and so far the current verison of  ODT is 18.3 which supports in visual studio 2017 and visual studio 2015 or earlier version. And the Oracle team is in the process of developing SDT of Visual Studio 2019. You can always keep an eye on Oracle's official website for timely information.

If you have any confusion, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Perry

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Monday, September 9, 2019 9:11 AM
  • The answer is yes but... You can use Visual Studio 2019 with the Oracle's managed provider. You will be able to connect to Oracle and execute commands but you want have design time support. That is you want be able to create a dataset for example with drag & drop operations. Or you want have Oracle's database explorer in Visual Studio that shows the Oracle's tables, views, procedures and many others. If you create a solution in Visual Studio 2017 where Oracle's developer tools already exist you will be able to compile the project in Visual Studio 2019 but again if you have any DataSet and want to modify it with the designer you will have to do it in VS 2017. Using two versions of Visual Studio in parallel only because of lack of Oracle's tools is not a very nice experience but this is the only way I know till Oracle will decide to develop ODT for VS 2019. Oracle announced that ODT for VS 2019 would be ready some time ago but unfortunately they are  not ready yet.

Friday, December 6, 2019 10:42 PM