none
Understanding "Request Change" in approval workflow RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am trying to understand "Requested By" field in approval workflow. Steps I followed to end up to this question.

- Create a list (Doesn't matter list or library)

- Add an approval workflow with Change Request checked.

- For Participants add two names(Person A & Person B) and change the task assignment to "Parallel"

- Person A starts the workflow by adding an item. (Again doesn't matter start it manually or on event of adding an item)

- If Person B clicks on request change and assigns to person C.

- When Person C open the task to send response, the "Requested By" field will be the person A who initiated the workflow not person C. 

My Question: Shouldn't the "Requested By" field in response form be Person C instead of Person A? The history log shows the correct outcome as "Change Requested of Person C by Person B"

Also it is very confusing to have the "Requested By" field in the response form if it has the wrong information like this.

Please let me know any solution or workaround for this.

Environment: SharePoint 2013

SharePoint workflow: 2010

Thanks

• Edited by ViviSP Friday, January 15, 2016 3:14 PM
    • Moved by Hemendra Agrawal Monday, January 25, 2016 6:36 AM SP 2013
    Thursday, January 14, 2016 8:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Vivisp,

Per my test in my environment, after I click the change request and assign to persone1, then the persone1 go to the item, it displays the user who initiate the workflow not the person1.

When you click the Request Change button, it indicates that further edits are needed. It is not the same as the “assign to”.  The “requested by” means the user who initiates the workflow in other words who create the request of the workflow.  It always be the initiator of the workflow.

Approve an Item in a SharePoint 2010 Workflow.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/approve-an-item-in-a-sharepoint-2010-workflow.html

Best regards,

Sara Fan

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 18, 2016 9:59 AM
  • Hi Sara,

Appreciate your time to test the workflow and answer my question.

A user got confused with this field being displayed on the "ChangeView" or response form. The task assigned to a person for changing/updating a document will see "Requested By" field in the response form. For him it doesn't make sense to see the person who initiated the workflow. It will be good if we can display the person who requested for the "Change Request" from him.

Any idea, which field will have that value? I know a way where you can save the "Assigned To" field to a workflow variable and display it. But is there any better way to display the person name who requested for the change request?

Thanks for your help.

• Edited by ViviSP Wednesday, January 20, 2016 3:27 PM
    Wednesday, January 20, 2016 3:27 PM