none
SharePoint 2010 Foundation- Cannot Change Server Name?

Question

• I changed my server name yesterday and cannot access SP any more (Cannot connect to configuration database error).  This article:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288510.aspx says you can rename using Powershell but when I open the mgmt shell I get the error "“The local farm is not accessible. Cmdlets with FeatureDependencyId are not registered” . I ran the mgmt shell "as administrator"

I enabled TCP/IP and Named Pipes in SQL Manager and connected from a remote machine. Tried to add DBO to SharePoint_Shell_Access but get an error ""Cannot use the special Principal "dbo" (Microsoft SQL Server Error 15405)".

I have re-created this on a lab machine with a pretty plain vanilla install (Single Server). I tried to run the SharePoint Config but it says "not connected to a farm". Saw an article where you can disconnect from farm (that is the next prompt) and then reconnect. Tried and cannot reconnect...

I am really trying to avoid naming my server back to the original name, for it is a production server now (SharePoint not yet, thankfully). Any help would be greatly appreciated

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 4:07 PM

Answers

• Use stsadm -o renameserver command instead of "Rename-SPServer", it should work.
    Microsoft SharePoint MVP |http://razirais.wordpress.com| MCT| MCPD SharePoint 2010 Developer| MCITP SharePoint Administrator 2010
    • Marked as answer by Stanfford Liu Monday, October 18, 2010 5:05 AM
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 4:38 PM
  • Thank you so much that worked like a charm in like 20 seconds!

To clarify I did this:

stsadm -o renameserver -oldservername OLDSERVER -newservername -NEWSERVER

then ran IISRESET /NOFORCE

Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:19 PM

All replies

• Use stsadm -o renameserver command instead of "Rename-SPServer", it should work.
    Microsoft SharePoint MVP |http://razirais.wordpress.com| MCT| MCPD SharePoint 2010 Developer| MCITP SharePoint Administrator 2010
    Wednesday, October 13, 2010 4:38 PM
  • Thank you so much that worked like a charm in like 20 seconds!

To clarify I did this:

stsadm -o renameserver -oldservername OLDSERVER -newservername -NEWSERVER

then ran IISRESET /NOFORCE

Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:19 PM
  • Is there a known issue with the PowerShell command?  Why wouldn't it work?
    Thursday, October 14, 2010 6:33 PM
  • It would be good to know under what circumstances the cmdlet rename-spserver works, if ever.

I tried several methods: changing the HKLM:\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\15.0\Secure\ConfigDB registry's dsn entry before running the cmdlet, running the command then changing the name, etc, to no effect.

Charles Kangai

Charles Kangai, MCT

Friday, May 15, 2015 3:24 PM