none
The filter expression is on external data and could not be validated. RRS feed

• Question

• The filter expression is on external data and could not be validated. It may not be supported in Web browser forms.

I am reciveing this error in my infopath 2010 browser form when I am trying to filter a drop down list from sharepoint.

I thought filters were available on infopath 2010 browser forms or are they only available from values inside the form?

I did have a look around the forums but only could find this error occuring during beta stage.

Thanks

Thursday, April 7, 2011 6:01 AM

Answers

• Ok, so you shouldn't be filtering in the form, because that means it downloads the entire list first and then filters out the items.  That's client-side filtering.  What you want to do is server-side filtering by doing a parameterized query.

• Set the data connection NOT to automatically download
    • Add Form Load rules that do the following:
    • First, "Set a Field's Value" and set the position query node of the data connection to the value of "manager" (whatever the exact syntax is)
    • Then query the data connection

Doind this should make it ONLY download items where position=manager instead of downloading all items and filtering.  This is a much better practice and was not even available in 2007, so you should make full use of it in 2010.  Even so, what you were doing should have worked anyway, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

When you do the filtered dropdown, your Source field should be the repeating group of the data connection, not the property itself.  The property should only be selected in Value and DisplayName.  The group should be in the Source field, and THAT'S where you apply the filter.

SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by Rickage1990 Friday, April 8, 2011 1:29 AM
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 2:14 PM

All replies

• Yes, filters can be used, but what exactly are you doing?
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 6:04 AM
  • I am adding an a sharepoint list as an external data source in infopath.

This list has all employees at our firm in it but I have applied this filter.

position is equal to "manager"

which filters all the data correctly but I am unable to open this in a browser form. As it presents me with the error above.

Thursday, April 7, 2011 6:11 AM
  • Strange - I've never seen seen that error nor heard of it.  How and where are you doing the filtering?  You didn't specify.
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 6:16 AM
  • I am filtering in a drop down list

this error comes up on design checker when I click the tick box verify on server check box.

I am simply going in to the property then select get choices from an external data source after I have added my sharepoint list with the desired columns I wanted to use.

I click on the entrys selection and filter data button

Then I add a new filter were "postion" is equal to "manager"   position is a column from my sharepoint list.

This filter works fine before I upload it to sharepoint, but I need it to work in a browser form

Thanks

Thursday, April 7, 2011 6:36 AM
  • Ok, so you shouldn't be filtering in the form, because that means it downloads the entire list first and then filters out the items.  That's client-side filtering.  What you want to do is server-side filtering by doing a parameterized query.

• Set the data connection NOT to automatically download
    • Add Form Load rules that do the following:
    • First, "Set a Field's Value" and set the position query node of the data connection to the value of "manager" (whatever the exact syntax is)
    • Then query the data connection

Doind this should make it ONLY download items where position=manager instead of downloading all items and filtering.  This is a much better practice and was not even available in 2007, so you should make full use of it in 2010.  Even so, what you were doing should have worked anyway, so I'm not sure what's going on there.

When you do the filtered dropdown, your Source field should be the repeating group of the data connection, not the property itself.  The property should only be selected in Value and DisplayName.  The group should be in the Source field, and THAT'S where you apply the filter.

• Marked as answer by Rickage1990 Friday, April 8, 2011 1:29 AM
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 2:14 PM
  • You are a genius thank you!

I still have the warning message but it is working flawlessy and a lot faster

thanks

Friday, April 8, 2011 1:31 AM
  • hello i have a questio i am new to infopath.

How do you do these steps you listed

1. Set fields Value to what?

2. how do you set position query node of the data connection to the value of manager.

If you can give me step by step instructions I will be very Grateful.

Thanks

Darren (dweiss@nybloodcenter.org) or (dweiss1025@gmail.com)

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 1:33 PM
  • I was having the same issue.  I followed your suggestion and it works perfectly.  Thanks!

Dan

Thursday, January 26, 2012 9:33 PM
  • I'm having an identical problem, and a little bit of trouble following your instructions above (specifically I'm not clear what you're referring to as the "position query node"). The initial field in my form is a drop-down named ProjectNumberSelect which pulls a project number from a SQL Server view and that auto-fills several project details. Each project can have two or three sub-projects and I am using a 'set a field's value' rule on project to populate the sub-project lookup field name SubProjectNumberSelect from another table as follows:

@sub_project_name[@sub_project_code = SubProjectNumberSelect]

The sub-project details come in fine and the form was working perfectly until I tried to publish it to a browser form in SharePoint. The form does not load, and the design checker gives me the same warning the poster above listed (but no errors) of 'The filter expression is on external data and could not be validated. It may not be supported in Web browser forms.'

If puzzles are good for your BRAIN then SharePoint will keep it really healthy!

Ramona Maxwell MCPD SharePoint 2010, MCITP SQL Server 2008

Monday, June 18, 2012 3:35 AM
  • Sqlsolver, the error is valid for browser forms.  You can't do this with direct SQL connections in browser forms - you must use web services.

Saturday, June 23, 2012 10:46 PM
  • Clayton, 

I tried that yesterday and worked like a charm. Today I had to recreate an InfoPath form, tried the same, exact steps, and it's not working. Basically it's an inventory list for requesting equipment for a school:

Eq Type (dropdown)

Eq Subtype (dropdown)

Eq Name (dropdown)

Quant available

I don't have any in.control filtering, just a form load rule that sets a value and then queries the data.

Any ideas or information I can provide so you can help me sort this out?

Thanks!

Sunday, May 4, 2014 11:31 PM
  • Hi

I think I did what this answer says to do following this guide: http://danssharepointblog.blogspot.com/2013/09/infopath-tutorial-cascading-dropdown.html#comment-form

However, I still get the SOAP error.  Any ideas?

Sunday, October 19, 2014 8:53 PM