none
Excel 2007 2010 VBA Run-time error 438 Object doesn't this support property or method

Question

• Hello,

I have an Office 2007 Excel workbook which has some TextBoxes on the spreadsheet and some VBA code that access the TextBox.Text property. This workbook has been working for years, and still works for me if I open it with Office 2007 Excel, but if I open it with Office 2010 Excel, a VBA error dialogbox pops up:

run-time error '438' Object doesn't support this property or method

if I click [Debug] button on the dialog, the debugger highlights a line that assigns an empty string to the TextBox:

TextBox1.Text = ""

I already deleted all the .EXD files on the computer by doing a search from the c:\ root

but the error doesn't do away when opened with Excel 2010. With Excel 2007 the workbook works and its forms work

I suspect this is caused by some Microsoft Update that changed the Office Forms somehow, and now the new version can't interpret the forms created with Office 2007 ???

Please help!... I'll appreciate it

Sincerely,

Richard

Friday, February 13, 2015 12:50 AM

Answers

• Hi Richard,

Have your tried to use the tool provide in KB3025036 to fix this issue?

>> We have another pc where the same workbook does work. The curious thing is that both pc's have Windows 7  SP1, and Office 10 installed.

Do you have all of the latest updates installed on both machines?

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Saturday, February 14, 2015 12:12 AM

All replies

• I still suspect that the update is the problem. What version of windows are you using? If win 7 then try the following.

Ensure you have all office programs closed. Can close any other programs that are not required but not essential.

Click the Windows colored ball bottom left of screen.

In the Search programs and files box enter the following and then press Enter.

%temp%

Select all of the files and folders and then delete.

If you get a message re unable to delete any of them because of Admin permission or in use etc (and you will probably get quite a few) then just click the Skip button.

Provided you entered %temp% correctly then you won't do any harm deleting all the files that can be deleted because they are only temporary files and any that are required get re-created when you open the applications.

If using Win 8 or 8.1 then just click the magnifying glass icon (Search icon) on the main screen and type %temp% in the field that gets displayed and then press Enter (don't click the magnifying glass icon) and then as above.

Regards, OssieMac

Friday, February 13, 2015 3:27 AM
  • Hello,

I did as instructed by OssieMac, but the problem persists.

We have another pc where the same workbook does work. The curious thing is that both pc's have Windows 7  SP1, and Office 10 installed.

Any help will be appreciated. TIA

Regards,

Richard

Friday, February 13, 2015 10:51 PM
  • Hi Richard,

Have your tried to use the tool provide in KB3025036 to fix this issue?

>> We have another pc where the same workbook does work. The curious thing is that both pc's have Windows 7  SP1, and Office 10 installed.

Do you have all of the latest updates installed on both machines?

Regards,

Jeffrey

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Saturday, February 14, 2015 12:12 AM
  • I should have added to my previous post to repeat the procedure for each user id on the computer including the Administrator because it may depend on whether Office was installed via an administrator id for all users on the computer or if it was installed for a specific user.

Regards, OssieMac

Saturday, February 14, 2015 1:30 AM
  • Hello,

Jeffrey was right. The old laptop had a ton of updates, but when infrastructure set up the new laptop they just installed Office 10 w/o any updates. Nobody foresaw that installing a brand new software out of the box would break an essential component, like the Office forms or VBA code. So after almost 1000 MB of updates, the VBA code started to run as expected w/o errors.

I can't understand what's going on with Microsoft: they're not supporting older versions... like XP... gone! but we're all using it!... who cares... gone! Microsoft is not keeping backwards compatibility (just try to move an AnyCPU project that used to build and run in Win 32 bit, and try to build it in Win 64 bit it's DLL nightmare all over again with the dreaded "bad image format exception"). On top of all that they've broken the Office forms and VBA code with several of the updates. What's going on? Too many new people? Missing Gates? Too much Opening the Software and losing control? Having inexperienced / outside people writing code? Depending too much on 3rd party? I wasted 5 days on this! Get your act together Microsoft!

Thanks to Jeffrey and OsieMac for your help

Wednesday, February 18, 2015 7:15 PM