none
SharePoint 2010 - No Search Results on First Try RRS feed

• Question

• My SharePoint 2010 farm appears to have acquired some new search results behavior.  Users enter a word or multiple words in "Search this site..." and click the search icon.  Search page returns "We did not find any results for...."  If the user leaves search words as is and clicks the search icon again, results appear.

What causes this and how can I make it so results appear after click the search icon the first time?

Friday, November 9, 2018 8:13 PM

All replies

• I would investigate the differences between the URLs of the page that works vs doesn't work. That will likely hold your answer.

Please remember to mark as answer if you found this to be helpful. Andy Wessendorf | Belcan

Friday, November 9, 2018 8:23 PM
  • Is your environment has load balancers .. have you checked start address in "Central Administration-->Search Service Application-->Content Source-->Local SharePoint Site-->Start Addresses  and make sure the site address is accessible.

Try performing the crawl again and see. please compare the url when Search page returns "We did not find any results for...."  and the url  when user leaves search words as is and clicks the search icon again. let me know how it goes.

Friday, November 9, 2018 8:27 PM
  • Hi,

Do you have a large number of search results? What about clearing the browser cache?

The solution what I can imagine is to upgrade your environment to a newer version. I used to read an article that the author also met this issue and finally he solved his issue by migrating to a higher environment.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, November 12, 2018 7:17 AM
  • Hi,

If you think my suggestion is helpful, you could mark it as an answer. It will help others who meet the similar question in this forum. Also others will directly see the answer.

Thanks for your understanding!

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, November 20, 2018 2:39 AM
  • Hi,

Please do not forget to mark the helpful reply as an answer.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Tuesday, November 27, 2018 1:41 AM
  • Search results are appending the web application to the url. 

Ex.  [web application]/sites/Search/Pages/results.aspx?k=jeans&cs=This%20Site&u=https%3A%2F%2F [web application]

I found a couple articles but they don't help.

https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/45831/how-can-the-u-parameter-be-removed-from-from-search-query-strings

https://sharepointryan.com/2010/07/08/enterprise-search-center-funkiness-in-sp2010-server/

Any thoughts on how I can fix this?

Monday, December 3, 2018 9:44 PM
  • Hi,

Try to upgrade your SP. Then check the results.

Best regards,

Allen Bai

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 9:25 AM