none
Change Assignment Owner for Tasks with No Resources Assigned RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

When a Project Manager creates or edits a task that has no resources, they become the Assignment Owner for the "Unassigned" resource on this task. If they leave the company, they can't be deleted because they are Assignment Owners. However, the Assignment Owner field is disabled on these assignments (e.g. in the Resource Usage view). The only way I can see to solve the problem is to assign a resource to each affected task, and then delete the resource (and manually update the task to undo whatever changes may occur as a result). At this point, the user who is doing this "fixing" becomes the new Assignment Owner. Is there are way to update this Assignment Owner field that I am missing?

Thanks,

Erik

Erik RHS

Monday, July 7, 2014 6:59 PM

All replies

• Hi Erik,

Which Project Server version are you using? 

Maybe I misunderstood your concern, but the assignment owner is attached to an assignment, not to a task. If a task has no resources, then it also has no assignment (an assignment is the crossing of a resource and a task). Thus you will not have a assignment owner on a task if there is no resource.

To enforec what I'm saying, you will see that if you insert the assignment owner in the Gantt chart, the arrow next to the assignment owner cell is grayed out, meaning that it cannot be settled or changed.

Please provide more information, detailed steps and eventually some screenshots so we can help you.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Monday, July 7, 2014 7:39 PM
  • Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for the reply. It's Project Pro/Project Server 2010 SP2. If I insert the Assignment Owner column in the Gantt Chart, I see the user's name, but the dropdown is disabled. If I use the Resource Usage view, this task shows up under the "Unassigned" resource name along with all other tasks that have no resources assigned. This Project Server instance was created by upgrading from Project Server 2007 databases. I find that if I create a new project in the 2010 instance with a task that has no resources, the Assignment Owner is blank. This may be a 2007 remnant that is not cleaned up during the upgrade.

Thanks,

Erik

Erik RHS

Monday, July 7, 2014 8:09 PM
  • Indeed Erik, I guess this unexpected behavior has been inherited from the migration.

I suggest you to query the DB to see if effectively the assignment owner is populated for unassigned tasks. In case it is, I'll let more technical experts from this forum give you some hints for correcting this issue.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Monday, July 7, 2014 8:12 PM
  • I do have queries that shown where a specific user is a Project Owner, Status Manager or Assignment Owner in the Draft and Archive databases. These are the things we have seen which preclude a user from being deleted. I can change the Project Owner and Status Manager info, just no way to clear out the bogus Assignment Owner data, except assigning a resource and then deleting it. This kind of surgery can cause the task to get rescheduled and require manual update to get it back where it was. If there was another way to fix this (SQL update, PSI, etc.), it would be great.

Thanks for your insights!

Erik

Erik RHS

Monday, July 7, 2014 8:19 PM
  • Hi,

Can you please tell me how do I add assignment owner to the Task with steps.

Thanks,

Kavita

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 10:14 AM
  • Assignment Owner field is not enabled. How to enable please help me out this

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 10:25 AM
  • The problem was a bug in Project Pro 2007. If you are still on 2007, I don't know a way to fix the problem. If you have migrated a Project Server 2007 instance to 2010 or 2013, you can fix the problem by assigning a resource to the task, and then removing the resource from the task. Before you make the change, document the current % complete and actual start/finish dates, as these can get reset when resources are added/removed from the task.

Erik RHS

Wednesday, October 19, 2016 6:11 PM