none
2010 Publishing Approval Workflow not triggered from Office 2010 application RRS feed

• Question

• I have a peculiar situation to which I have been Googling for weeks now but to no avail.

Basically, I have configured a publishing approval workflow to fire when the user checks in a word document as a Major version. I tested it and all was fine. I later found that on a select few PC's on the office network the prompt (workflow initiation form) was not popping up when checking the document in via the office 2010 word client and therefore the workflow wasn't being initiated.

I have gone down many avenues of group policy, SP permissions, AD settings, even reinstalling office but nowhere nearer to solving the issue.

Please bear in mind I have it configured correctly from a SharePoint point of view i.e. checked the box to allow workflow to be manually started & start to approve publishing on major version.

This might be a clue: it works when checking in via SharePoint but not when checking it in via word, therefore indicating a desktop client or office issue. 

Does anybody have any knowledge of what triggers the initiation form to fire and what might block it or not register its existence from an office app point of view? Any general comments would be welcome.

Spec of problem machines: - Windows 7 (x32/64), Office 2010 Std, SharePoint 2013 server (but using 2010 workflow in this case).

Marc Grocott

Thursday, November 13, 2014 3:46 PM

Answers

• Thanks Zhengyu but I had already set that.

It turns out the version of Office matters. That said, if you have installed office 2010 std along with any professional/premium product e.g. Viso Professional 2010 then the workflow initiation form does then work, indicating a registry setting is controlling the form/workflow integration with office. The problem machines had a clean install of Office 2010std with no professional products but the machines that did work had some form of professional product alongside Office 2010std.

Marc Grocott

• Marked as answer by Marc Grocott Friday, November 14, 2014 9:11 AM
    • Edited by Marc Grocott Friday, November 14, 2014 9:12 AM additional info
    Friday, November 14, 2014 9:11 AM

All replies

• Hi Marc,

Based on your description, my understanding is that when you check in a major version from word, the workflow initiation form not appear.

In order for Document Approval workflows to work seamlessly with word, you can tick the option: "Allow this workflow to be manually started by an authenticated user with Edit Item Permissions".

Here is a detailed article for your reference:

Approval workflow does not start from Microsoft Word

Best Regards

Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Zhengyu Guo
    TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 14, 2014 6:45 AM
  • Thanks Zhengyu but I had already set that.

It turns out the version of Office matters. That said, if you have installed office 2010 std along with any professional/premium product e.g. Viso Professional 2010 then the workflow initiation form does then work, indicating a registry setting is controlling the form/workflow integration with office. The problem machines had a clean install of Office 2010std with no professional products but the machines that did work had some form of professional product alongside Office 2010std.

Marc Grocott

• Marked as answer by Marc Grocott Friday, November 14, 2014 9:11 AM
    • Edited by Marc Grocott Friday, November 14, 2014 9:12 AM additional info
    Friday, November 14, 2014 9:11 AM