none
32bit webpart on 64bit Sharepoint RRS feed

• Question

• Quick question, can a webpart developed within a SharePont 32bit environment work on 64bit environment?

Best Regards
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:17 PM

Answers

All replies

• yes ofcouse  it will work, 32 bit and 64bit is processor related concepts, as number of calculation handles by processor. But as performance point of view, 64 bit processor is hight recommandable for MOSS. 

For More reference check this article

Regards,
    Milan
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:29 PM
  • Ok Milan, would check it on the 64bit dev. tomorrow and give you a feed back.

Thanks
    Wednesday, June 24, 2009 10:56 PM
  • more details about an important Visual Studio flag : target platform .

Serge Luca; blog: http://www.redwood.be
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:26 PM
  • Hi guys thanks for this.
    Friday, June 26, 2009 5:45 PM
  • .NET compiled code will run in either 32 or 64bits, it's "platform independent" (as far as 32 or 64 bits go). 
    Daniel Larson, SharePoint MVP, MS Press Author, NewsGator Software Developer Check out my books on Amazon: - Inside Microsoft Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 (with Ted Pattson) - Developing Service Oriented AJAX Applications on the Microsoft Platform (.NET 3.5, WCF, Microsoft AJAX)
    Friday, June 26, 2009 6:18 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

".NET compiled code will run in either 32 or 64bits, it's "platform independent" (as far as 32 or 64 bits go). "

Are you sure in that? If the target is set to x86 then you might have issues as the article linked by Serge says:
    "If the project is set to x86, this means the project is intended to run only as a 32-bit process.  A 64-bit process will be unable to call into an assembly set as X86.  Reasons to set your project as x86 include dependencies upon native DLLs that are only available in 32-bit or making native calls assuming 32-bit.  Applications and assemblies marked for x86 can still run on 64-bit Windows.  However they run under WOW64.  Visual Studio itself runs under this emulation mode since it is a 32-bit application."

AFAIK 32 bit code and 64 bit code can't coexist in the same process and since the web part is hosted in the web server process (that is 64 bit on a 64 bit server) building for target x86 is not a good choice here.

The second part of the quote ("Applications and assemblies marked for x86 can still run on 64-bit Windows.  However they run under WOW64.") is true in my understanding only if that application / assemblies are loaded into a 32 bit process, for example if the 32 bit application is started and hosted within WOW64. I have doubts if the web server process on a 64 Windows can emulate 32 bit behaviour but I might be wrong in that.

But the original question was "Quick question, can a webpart developed within a SharePont 32bit environment work on 64bit environment?".

I think the answer for that question is yes, it can, but it depends on the target platform, as Serge wrote above.

Peter

• Proposed as answer by Mike Hacker Wednesday, January 13, 2010 9:22 PM
    Friday, June 26, 2009 7:14 PM