Problem after June 2016 patch applied RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone.  We have an application that we are developing in SharePoint 2013.  Our Development server was patched with the June 2016 security patches and now we have discovered a problem with a List View.

The list in question has about 80 entries.  However, when we look at it in our Development Environment (the one that has been patched), it shows only one item:

In another environment that has not been patched, the view of the same list is correct:

New views that are created on the patched environment have the same problem. 

This is a problem for us for 2 reasons:

1.  We cannot edit any of the items in the list (and they are items that will need to be updated frequently, at least in the near future).

2.  We use this list to dynamically populate Hyperlinks in Word documents so that users can click a link in those documents and see the Help text that has been entered into SharePoint.  To do this, we use a REST query in VBA to access the Lists web service which requires  both the list and the list view. 

Back in January 2016, there was a similar problem with List Views that arose from a MS patch.  MS released a fix and all was good.  This list, however, was created after that fix was applied so somehow it appears to have not been inoculated from whatever the change is that MS made in the June patching.

I'd really appreciate hearing ASAP from anyone else who is experiencing this problem and/or ideas about how to fix the problem and get this list view working correctly.

Thanks in advance.  Carol.

Monday, June 20, 2016 6:32 PM

Answers

• KB3115168 is part of the June 2016 CU (it's a hotfix). It contains coreserver-lang.msp which provides the MUI (locale-specific) files. Like th eJan 2016 patch, it wasn't List Views that were specifically impacted, it was the language files behind the scenes that also support List Views that were impacted. These would not be part of any patch notes.

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, June 20, 2016 11:25 PM

All replies

• Have you applied the full June 2016 CU instead of just security patches?

Trevor Seward

This post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, June 20, 2016 6:44 PM
  • No, we haven't applied the June 2016 CU.  We generally wait to apply the CU's until a few months after they have been released, just in case.

Carol.

Monday, June 20, 2016 9:24 PM
  • Can you try it in a test environment to see if it resolves the issue? I'm wondering if, like Jan 2016, the MUI patch isn't applying with the security updates.

Note that the security updates do contain bits from the same-month CU.

Trevor Seward

Monday, June 20, 2016 9:25 PM
  • It is in a "test" environments, in fact, it's in our development Environment.  We're not going to let that patch anywhere near our production environment until we're either sure it doesn't cause us any problems or, if it does cause problems, we know how to fix them.  ;-)

We also noticed the similarities between this and the January 2016 problem.  Do you think that the fix for the January patching would be applicable to this situation?  If you think it would be, can you please explain a bit more about how that fix worked so perhaps I can convince our SP Admins to run the fix again?

Thanks, Trevor.

Monday, June 20, 2016 9:36 PM
  • So basically the Jan sec patch applied patches to the core files which leverage language-specific files. So while the core files were updated, the associated language-specific files (which includes English) were not. This is why applying the MUI patch worked for Jan 2016 security patches (instead of the full CU, though that was also an option).

You might want to try applying:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3115168

Trevor Seward

Monday, June 20, 2016 9:40 PM
  • Thanks, Trevor, but can you explain a bit more about why you suggest we apply the KB3115168 fix?  I don't see anything in there that applies to list views...

Is KB3115168 part of the June CU?

Thanks again.  Carol.

Monday, June 20, 2016 9:50 PM
  • KB3115168 is part of the June 2016 CU (it's a hotfix). It contains coreserver-lang.msp which provides the MUI (locale-specific) files. Like th eJan 2016 patch, it wasn't List Views that were specifically impacted, it was the language files behind the scenes that also support List Views that were impacted. These would not be part of any patch notes.

Trevor Seward

Monday, June 20, 2016 11:25 PM