none
export access 2010 report to excel 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a report with around 33,000 records.  I pull up the report fine and then I try to export to excel and I get an "Overflow" error.  We run this report every month and it hasn't had this error before.   When I use the Export to Excel option from the ribbon it pulls up the "Select the destination for the data you want to export" and the only file format options are Microsoft Excel 5.0/95 workbook and Excel 97-Excel 2003 Workbook.  Isn't there an excel 2010 file format option?  If so, how do I get that option to show.  I'm just think this is the problem with the report not converting but if I'm wrong please let me know.  I don't see where any of the data is corrupt because it worked last month and I don't think the excel file size is an issue (or is it). 

TAK

Monday, October 15, 2012 9:18 PM

All replies

• This sounds like you may need to compact & repair. It certainly should work and yes there is an excel 2010 version as part of Office 14. Is your installation of Access 2010 part of the Office Suite or a standalone version? If it is standalone then what versions of excel do you have on your pc?

Chris Ward

Monday, October 15, 2012 9:38 PM
  • check out this forum link - it may address your issue http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/accessdev/thread/3e602bd1-4db2-45bd-85ed-c925894e7048

For the benefit of others, please mark posts as answered or helpful when they answer or assist you in finding the answer. ___ "We came all this way to explore the Moon, and the most important thing is that we discovered the Earth." - Bill Anders, Apollo 8.

Monday, October 15, 2012 11:50 PM
  • Hi taking,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Based on my research, it seems not available to export report in access 2010 to excel 2010 format (*.xlsx). 

For the "Overflow" error, is there any cell containing too much characters? You can check the following specification for Excel 2003:

Excel specifications and limits
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/excel-specifications-and-limits-HP005199291.aspx 

"Length of cell contents (text) 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar."

Hope it helps and have a nice day.

Yoyo Jiang[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

• Proposed as answer by EthicalGamer Friday, December 11, 2015 5:59 AM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 9:24 AM
  • My office installation is the Office suite (access, excel, word, pp, etc).  When I opent the report in access it is 834 pages and when I try to export to excel (unfortunately to Excel 97-Excel 2003 Workbook) the export stops on page 830. I don't see anything out of the ordinary around pages 830 and 831 that would cause it to stop like too many characters or something. 

How can I get the excel 2010 option to appear in the file format.  I'm guessing this might be the problem but even if it isn't I'm still not at the 65000 row limit on the excel 2003 file format.

TAK

I forgot to mention that when I open up the query the report is based off the Excel Workbook (xlsx) option is available and it does export without the Overflow error.  But the xlsx option isn't available when I try to export from the actual report, only the two options I previously mentioned.
    • Edited by taking Tuesday, October 16, 2012 3:57 PM
    Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:48 PM
  • >>report in access it is 834 pages... stops on page 830.<<

More importantly is the number of rows than the number of pages since the margins may be set different.

How many rows are in each page? Are they the same?

Chris Ward

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:52 PM
  • The number of rows can vary by page but each page in the report usually range between 35-42 rows when I'm looking at it in the access report.  The total records when I view it in the query is about 33,000 rows.  This report worked last month when we ran the report and converted it to excel.

TAK

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 7:59 PM
  • I apologize my question wasn't clear I think. I was wondering when comparing the rows of records per page in the report if it is the same as the number of rows per page in Excel. So if there are 35 rows on page 1 of the Access Report are there also 35 rows on page 1 in Excel?

Chris Ward

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:29 PM
  • If I'm looking at the page breaks in excel the number of records is different as opposed to what is on each page of the access report.  The record count (total rows in excel) in the last export we did (that worked) was 32,728.  The number of records in the access report I'm trying to export to excel (where I get the Overflow) now is 32,864 records.

TAK

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 8:42 PM
  • Max Value for Int16 is 32767 which lies between those two numbers. So it likely means that the Excel driver is using Int16 for row count and dies.
    Monday, February 8, 2016 10:23 PM