How to fix a "Partially" corrupt .accdb? RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Access 2007 file that appears to have become corrupted during a compact and repair. I say it's partially corrupt because I can still open it but most of the tables now believe that they are system tables. I am unable to open or link to these tables. When I try I get an error message telling me that "Could not read definitions, no read definitions permission for...". Any ideas on how to recover this file?
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:49 PM

Answers

• jeanhu

not necessarly, all i said was that i knew of ways to get MDBs recovered/fixed. That does not mean that ther are not any similar tools.services for the new .acdb formats (it only means that I'm unfamiliar with them!)

Here is at least one option out there: http://www.diskinternals.com/access-recovery/

I'm sure there may be others as well (I never had to go looking for accdb repair tools until right now).

• Proposed as answer by Ji.Zhou Tuesday, August 31, 2010 7:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ji.Zhou Monday, September 6, 2010 6:10 AM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:14 PM

All replies

• Jeanhu,

I hope you have a backup...if so, punt back to it because the probabilities are now rather low that this is fully recoverable.

You DO have a copy from BEFORE doing the C&R, don't you?

If not, then learn this lesson now...C&R is a DANGEROUS OPERATION which CAN FURTHER HARM your database if it already has a problem. ALWAYS do a BACKUP FIRST before doing a C&R...or deal with possible consequences like this. (this is the reason I hate having the "automatic C&R on close" option set. It's almost like asking "Oh yeah, Access, would you mind taking a gamble on destroying _every object in this database_ when I close this database? - thanks!"

(Sorry Jeanhu, I didn't mean to necessarily be _yelling_ at you like that, but I do want to make sure the message got thru to you and whoever else may read this later.)

I knew of some database recovery tools and services which worked on mangled .MDB files...but I suppose that your database is a .accdb and not a .mdb, right?

Thursday, August 26, 2010 5:34 PM
  • Thanks for your input Mark, this is an .accdb so I think I'm sol.
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:05 PM
  • jeanhu

not necessarly, all i said was that i knew of ways to get MDBs recovered/fixed. That does not mean that ther are not any similar tools.services for the new .acdb formats (it only means that I'm unfamiliar with them!)

Here is at least one option out there: http://www.diskinternals.com/access-recovery/

I'm sure there may be others as well (I never had to go looking for accdb repair tools until right now).

• Proposed as answer by Ji.Zhou Tuesday, August 31, 2010 7:22 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ji.Zhou Monday, September 6, 2010 6:10 AM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:14 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Robin Shanab Thursday, October 3, 2019 5:46 AM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 6:16 PM
  • presuming you are Vista or Win7 - right click on the file and go to Restore.
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 11:15 PM
  • Make sure the that your file is not corrupt. There could be many reasons but the most expected is that at the time of execution of compact and repair database utility, indexes are rebuilt. Due to that, whenever it finds data that results violation in indexes which further drops out the indexes.

Thursday, January 27, 2011 7:45 AM
  • You can recover data from the corrupted database files while compressing them using a access recovery software, i will suggest you the one which helped me before named  Kernel for Access repair tool, it provides complete data recovery during Access database corruption. It can recover data from damaged MBD and ACCDB files and even rebuilds the databases while maintaining the original layout. With the help of its recovery modes
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 12:21 PM
  • Try compact and repair features of MS Access to repair corrupt or damage access MDB or ACCDB files. I would like to suggest to use third party access file recovery tool. it helps to repair both access MDB or ACCDB files.

Find more: - http://www.filesrecoverytool.com/access-file-recovery.html

Saturday, January 24, 2015 4:53 AM