none
organize search results in SharePoint 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

For example, I have search results from content sources A, B, and C.  They are listed in this order:

source_A_result_1

source_A_result_2

source_A_result_3

source_B_result_1

source_B_result_2

source_C_result_1

source_B_result_3

source_C_result_2

source_C_result_3

And I want to display the results like:

source_A_result_1

source_B_result_1

source_C_result_1

source_A_result_2

source_B_result_2

source_C_result_2

source_A_result_3

source_B_result_3

source_C_result_3

Any ideas how to do this?  Thanks in advance!  Your help would be greatly appreciated!

• Edited by Ming Jia Friday, November 2, 2018 1:08 PM
    Friday, November 2, 2018 12:36 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I suppose that you want to automatically populate the value to results. No, it is impossible.

You need to create a column for these items and manually enter values to them. In SharePoint, only site columns that contain values will automatically become managed properties when they are crawled. If you use list columns, you need to map the crawled property of this column to the an existing managed property or a new managed property and perform a full crawl.

Information about index schema in SharePoint 2010:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/office/developer/sharepoint-2010/ff464344(v%3Doffice.14)

Best regards,

Linda

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 1:47 AM

All replies

• Hi,

In SharePoint 2010, you need to edit XSLT to change the order of search results in Search Results web part. Sorting search results by a managed property.

How to change the order of the search results in SharePoint 2010:

https://englando.wordpress.com/2011/01/07/tip-change-sort-order-in-people-matches-sharepoint-2010-web-part/

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, November 2, 2018 8:00 AM
  • Hi Linda,
    Thanks for the reply!  However, there's no managed property logging the order of results from the same content source, so that I cannot sort to display the first results from each content sources.  I can sort by "contentsource" and it will display as below which is not what I wanted

source_A_result_1

source_A_result_2

source_A_result_3

source_B_result_1

source_B_result_2

source_B_result_3

source_C_result_1

source_C_result_2

source_C_result_3

• Edited by Ming Jia Friday, November 2, 2018 1:18 PM
    Friday, November 2, 2018 1:13 PM
  • Hi,

Numbers and strings stored in a text are sorted alphabetically. In other words, it will be sorted based on the individual characters that make up the value. For example, your content source name is formatted as “X_Y_Z_N”, it will sort based on X > then, Y > Z > N.

If you want to change the order, you need to change the content source name. For example, change “source_A_result_1” to “result_1_source_A”.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Monday, November 5, 2018 2:20 AM
  • Linda,

Thanks very much for the reply!  Sorry that I wasn't clear on describing the issue.  result 1,2,3 are the order of results being displayed.  I name the first result(highest rank) from source A source_A_result_1.

Monday, November 5, 2018 3:58 AM
  • Hi,

There is no method except using managed property value to sort results.

You need to use a managed property for results, for example for result “source_A_result_1”, the managed property value is “1A”; the manage property value for result “source_B_result_1” is “1B”; the manage property value for result “source_A_result_2” is “2A” …. Then sort based on this manage property, the results will display as you want.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Tuesday, November 6, 2018 1:50 AM
  • Thanks Linda.  That's a good idea.  My only concern is: the value of this managed property need to be filled after searching a string, not during crawling.  How to do it?  Thanks again!
    Tuesday, November 6, 2018 5:17 PM
  • Hi,

I suppose that you want to automatically populate the value to results. No, it is impossible.

You need to create a column for these items and manually enter values to them. In SharePoint, only site columns that contain values will automatically become managed properties when they are crawled. If you use list columns, you need to map the crawled property of this column to the an existing managed property or a new managed property and perform a full crawl.

Information about index schema in SharePoint 2010:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/office/developer/sharepoint-2010/ff464344(v%3Doffice.14)

Best regards,

Linda

Wednesday, November 7, 2018 1:47 AM
  • Thank you very much for your kind help Linda!  This confirmed my assumption.  I guess I will add more content sources to make results not much condensed on few content sources.  Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, November 7, 2018 5:56 AM