none
Conditional in Designer Workflow: If Created = [Today] RRS feed

• Question

• I am testing something in a workflow and want to receive a workflow email only if the item is new. I already have one workflow that runs on new or edit, so rather than create a new workflow I though I could just add a last stage that sends me an email if Created is equal to [Today]. The workflow runs, but this email never arrives. 

I then tried a pause for one minute before this conditional, but that didn't make it work either.  Is it possible to have such a conditional in a workflow or does the Created date not exist yet?

There are no mistakes; every result tells you something of value about what you are trying to accomplish.

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 11:20 PM

Answers

• Hi run4it, 

I agree with Divya_Akula, i have done a test in my SharePoint and it works fine. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

• Marked as answer by run4it Wednesday, March 27, 2019 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2019 7:46 AM

All replies

• Hi

Not quite sure about this and I have no environment to test it.

I suggest you use Log to History List to check the field and [Today] values.

Justin Liu Office Apps & Services MVP, MCSE
    Senior Software Engineer
    Please Vote and Mark as Answer if it helps you.

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 1:13 AM
  • Hi run4it, 

Because the Created is not equal to [Today], the email never be sent.

You can use Log to history list action to check the values of the Created and [Today], they are different.

You can create 2 workflows.

In first workflow, you can select "Start Automatically when item is created". So whenever new item added this workflow will trigger.

In Second workflow, you can select "Start Automatically when item is modified". So whenever item is updated this workflow will trigger. Here you can check the condition where update check box is checked and send mail accordingly.

Similar issue post for your reference:

https://sharepoint.stackexchange.com/questions/138119/workflow-that-checks-if-item-is-new-or-modified

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 3:01 AM
  • Hi,

You might need to Set time to 00:00 for the currentItem:Created and assign it to a workflow variable of type DateTime. The snippet would look as below

Divya

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 5:45 AM
  • Hi run4it, 

I agree with Divya_Akula, i have done a test in my SharePoint and it works fine. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen

• Marked as answer by run4it Wednesday, March 27, 2019 4:23 PM
    Wednesday, March 27, 2019 7:46 AM