none
SharePoint Link to Excel File's Specific Worksheet/Tab or Named Range RRS feed

• Question

• I am using SharePoint and Excel 2013 and need to add a promoted link in SharePoint to an Excel file and for it to open in a specific tab (worksheet). If needed, can be set up to go to a named cell/range also (but just to the worksheet is ideal).

I have confirmed adding the following to the end of an https:// link, #'tab name'!a1 to get to worksheet top left, or #rangename to get to a named range/cell, works great from other Office apps like Word for instance. However this does not work from within SharePoint to an Excel file in the site's document library. Those links still open the file to the last worksheet it was in when saved, not what's designated at the end of the link.

What in SharePoint could be stopping the Excel link from working?  Just to clarify, the file opens but not to the specific worksheet/tab or named range.  Does work from Office but not SharePoint.  This is holding up a site build so would very much appreciate the help.  Thanks!

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 8:35 PM

All replies

• Hi seasons88,

According to your description, you want to open a workbook in SharePoint with the specific name range.

Per my knowledge, SharePoint provide an OOB web part “excel web access“.

You can upload an excel file to a library. Then insert the web part to a page. Edit the web part and specify the workbook, name range. The web part will display the name range.

http://community.bamboosolutions.com/blogs/sharepoint-2013/archive/2014/01/01/how-to-use-the-excel-web-access-web-part-in-sharepoint-2013.aspx

Best Regards,

CY

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 24, 2016 3:25 AM
  • CY, thank you for your response.  I am familiar with excel web access web parts and am using them elsewhere on my site.  In this case however, I need to use promoted links to many files and they need to open in specific worksheets or data ranges.  If I add to the end of the URL path like this *.xlsx#'file name'!a1, it works in other MS apps to take me directly to a worksheet in the workbook.  If I use this same path in SharePoint, it just opens the file as it normally would which is the last worksheet someone was in before saving the file (the normal behavior).

It's something in SharePoint that I have to do differently.  The file I'm pointing to is located in a document library on the same site.

Thursday, March 24, 2016 2:00 PM
  • Still need help with this please.  Basically, I need to add a link in SharePoint that takes user directly to a specific tab (worksheet) in an Excel file, located in a document library on the same site.

I am using a path (example) like this: 

https://companyname.sharepoint.com/sites/intranetname/company/groupname/sitename/shared%documents/filename.xlsx#'worksheet name'!a1

In SharePoint this takes me to the file like a normal hyperlink would (to the first tab or the last tab the file was saved in).

Using the same path above, in MS Word or other Office apps, it works and takes me all the way to a specific tab as indicated in the hyperlink URL.  SharePoint is not working this way so I am thinking maybe my path needs to be written differently for SP to work. 

Tuesday, March 29, 2016 3:17 PM
  • the same here, 

filename.xlsx#'worksheet name'!a1 syntax is not working in SP2016

my URL ends with WopiFrame2.aspx?sourcedoc={ASFAF...}&file=Dash.xlsx

may be this WopiFrame app requires special syntax for the tabs? However after a research it seems 

it does not support tabs but only action parameter can be changed (edit;embedview)

From Project Techcenter

Wednesday, September 18, 2019 10:02 AM