none
Workflow error - Method 'StartWorkflowOnListItem' does not have an implementation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've just installed Workflow Manager 1.0 on our Dev WFE SharePoint 2013 server, following instructions from TechNet and blogs. Everything went well, registered site collection with workflow farm, verified the Workflow Service Application Proxy is in connected status and the 2013 Workflow choice shows up in the dropdown list when creating a new workflow in SP Designer. We have one App server, one WFE server in the DEV farm by the way and I'm just using the WFE server for workflow farm. However, after we make a workflow on a list and when clicking the ellipses on the workflow item and clicking workflows on the dropdown to open workflows on the item, it gives the following error.

Sorry, something went wrong

Method 'StartWorkflowOnListItem' in type 'Microsoft.SharePoint.WorkflowServices.FabricWorkflowInstanceProvider' from
    assembly 'Microsoft.SharePoint.WorkflowServices, Version=15.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c' does not have an implementation.

I've searched online for solutions and was not able to find any. If you have any suggestions or ideas on solving this, it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Thursday, August 6, 2015 4:00 PM

Answers

• I did lots more research online. Turned out that our SP servers did not have patch kb2880963 installed. We have patched SP servers later after patch 2880963 so I thought the later ones are cumulative and include the previous patches. But apparently they don't. After I installed kb2880963 on both SP servers. Workflow works as expected with no errors!
    • Marked as answer by Sharon Guo Thursday, August 13, 2015 10:22 PM
    Thursday, August 13, 2015 10:22 PM

All replies

• I did lots more research online. Turned out that our SP servers did not have patch kb2880963 installed. We have patched SP servers later after patch 2880963 so I thought the later ones are cumulative and include the previous patches. But apparently they don't. After I installed kb2880963 on both SP servers. Workflow works as expected with no errors!
    • Marked as answer by Sharon Guo Thursday, August 13, 2015 10:22 PM
    Thursday, August 13, 2015 10:22 PM
  • More than a year later.  This also worked for me today!  Thanks!
    Wednesday, November 23, 2016 3:03 PM
  • Yes. This worked for me as well. Thanks for the post!!! 5 Points.
    • Edited by ddrury44 Tuesday, September 19, 2017 6:23 PM
    Tuesday, September 19, 2017 6:22 PM
  • It doesn't work for me. Do I need to install the patch on all WFE or just the server running Workflow 2013?

Microsoft manager to programmer: You start coding. I'll go find out what they want ...

Tuesday, October 17, 2017 4:15 PM
  • It doesn't work for me. Do I need to install the patch on all WFE or just the server running Workflow 2013?

Microsoft manager to programmer: You start coding. I'll go find out what they want ...

I know it's a little late to respond but for anyone else, I only had to install it on our WFE instance.  Workflows started immediately working. Didn't even need to reboot.
    Wednesday, October 31, 2018 7:47 PM
  • Great! Even today solution is valid. I just installed it on WFE (I had only one) and it worked. Just to clear for others, Workflow Manager is on separate server.

Thanks 

IN
    Thanks, Kashif

Sunday, April 28, 2019 6:25 AM