none
Delete connections from the Data > Existing Connections list in Excel 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I have been experimenting with different connections to different sources. Now I have too many connections listed when I open the Existing Connections. I can I delete them so that they no longer show up on the list of available connections?

All the connections are internal to Excel.

Thanks,

Lori

Lori Wright DataSelf BI
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 12:33 AM

Answers

• The default connection files are saved in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\QUERIES" for Office 2007 in Windows 7 64 bit. For 32 bit its here "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\QUERIES".

Connection files added by users are saved in their profile "C:\Users\{USERNAME}\Documents\My Data Sources" on a Windows 7 system. You can delete these files and they will get removed from the "Existing Connections" dialog.

Click the 'Vote as Helpful' arrow if this post was helpful.
    • Proposed as answer by Bruce Song Monday, October 24, 2011 8:11 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Song Tuesday, October 25, 2011 3:13 AM
    Friday, October 21, 2011 6:12 AM
  • Hi Lori,

You can remove the list of "Existing Connections" through deleting the odc files in the My Data Sources folder. On my computer, the path of the folder is C:\Users\v-bpeng\Documents\My Data Sources , if you find difficult to locate the path, you can seach the name of the datasource.

Hope this can help you and just feel free to follow up.

If this still does not resolve your problem, you can post the problem on the answer forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/excel

Because the experts there are more familiar with the features and can give you more suggestions or workarounds.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Friday, October 21, 2011 6:14 AM
  • Hi Lori,

If you still show any concern on the problem, just feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Lori Wright Monday, October 24, 2011 9:02 PM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 8:12 AM

All replies

• Did you try the "Remove" button on the "Workbook Connections" form?
    Saturday, October 15, 2011 1:11 AM
  • Hi Lori N,

How about the problem on your side? Does the suggestion help you? If you still show any concern on the problem, just feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]

Thursday, October 20, 2011 12:38 PM
  • Sorry, I guess my previous reply didn't save properly.

No, that "Remove" just removes this connection from being used in this workbook. I want it removed from the list of "Existing Connections", so that when I open the list in a blank workbook I have a short, clean list.

Lori

Lori Wright DataSelf BI
    Thursday, October 20, 2011 4:24 PM
  • The default connection files are saved in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\QUERIES" for Office 2007 in Windows 7 64 bit. For 32 bit its here "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\QUERIES".

Connection files added by users are saved in their profile "C:\Users\{USERNAME}\Documents\My Data Sources" on a Windows 7 system. You can delete these files and they will get removed from the "Existing Connections" dialog.

Friday, October 21, 2011 6:12 AM
  • Hi Lori,

You can remove the list of "Existing Connections" through deleting the odc files in the My Data Sources folder. On my computer, the path of the folder is C:\Users\v-bpeng\Documents\My Data Sources , if you find difficult to locate the path, you can seach the name of the datasource.

Hope this can help you and just feel free to follow up.

If this still does not resolve your problem, you can post the problem on the answer forum:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/excel

Because the experts there are more familiar with the features and can give you more suggestions or workarounds.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]

Friday, October 21, 2011 6:14 AM
  • Hi Lori,

If you still show any concern on the problem, just feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,

Bruce Song [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Lori Wright Monday, October 24, 2011 9:02 PM
    Monday, October 24, 2011 8:12 AM
  • Hi Bruce,

I tried the code mentioned in the link, but after the run of code, when I open the excel file. I got the warning saying "external connection has been disabled" and if I open the Connection.. I can still able to see the definition information.

Is there a way to completely remove the connections ?

Regards

Madhavan.TR

Madhavan Thasu Ramachandran

Wednesday, September 4, 2013 7:50 PM