none
Enterprise calendar accessed via PWA fails to open in Project Pro 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I support Project Professional users working on Project Server both via the PWA and the Professional client. 

One user can't open the Enterprise calendar via the PWA settings -> enterprise calendar. I can't reproduce this error, since the calendar displays for me fine online and also opens in the client.

The user I support tried the access to the calendar with IE 11 and other browsers. 

One Office Update (KB2910954) solving Enterprise calendar problems with Project Professional 2016 is already installed on the user's computer.

Does someone have any more ideas for trouble shooting?

Thanks in advance,

JB

• Edited by JensBe Thursday, September 5, 2019 9:30 AM
    Wednesday, September 4, 2019 3:25 PM

Answers

• Thanks for your answer. 'Course there is no magic soln, but I hoped that there has been a similar problem.

Yes, I already tried to open the calendar via the PWA from different, up-to-date browsers.

Anyway, I have an update from the client's IT helpdesk:

The problem, i.e. the error opening an enterprise calendar locally in the Project Client from a PWA, supposedly and probably stems from the combination of Office 2010 and Project 2016 installed on the users' machines.
    The client's organization won't currently upgrade from Office 2010.

I hope someone can learn or even find out more from and about this problem.

• Edited by JensBe Wednesday, September 11, 2019 8:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by JensBe Wednesday, September 11, 2019 8:20 AM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2019 8:15 AM

All replies

• Whats the update for Project 2016 installed in the affected machine? You can get the same from File > Account > About Project. Additionally, can you confirm the update for Office on the same machine.

Cheers! Happy troubleshooting !!! Dinesh S. Rai - MSFT Enterprise Project Management Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, September 5, 2019 9:16 PM
  • Hi, 

Only users with the rights to open and edit the Enterprise Calendars can edit them.  Can you check their rights, if using Project Server Permissions what group is the user a member of?

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

Thursday, September 5, 2019 10:36 PM
  • Thanks for your replies,

A) the affected machines, two now, which bear the problem, run Project Pro 2016 x86.

The error opening the enterprose calendar occurred in two different ways.

1. Before patching the affected machines with the Office 2016 update KB 2910954...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=50836 

... the error is (my translation from German):
    "Microsoft Office error:
    This action could not be performed, because Office does not know this command.

2. After the update installation, the error didn't pop up again. Instead, the security warning for opening a remote file pops up as it should. 
    Confirming this, a different error in an eventlog appears:

Name of the erroneous application: PROTOC~1.EXE, Version: 16.0.4339.1000, Time stamp: 0x569509fd

Name of the erroneous module: NAMEEXT.DLL, Version: 16.0.4266.1001, Time stamp: 0x55ba11db

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Error offset: 0x000131ec

ID of the erroneous process: 0x7f8

Path of erroneous application: C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~4\Office16\PROTOC~1.EXE

Path of erroneous module: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16\NAMEEXT.DLL

B) One of the affected users is in the security groups:

Administrators

Project managers

Team members

I hope that this information does help you in understanding the problem.

Best regards

• Edited by JensBe Friday, September 6, 2019 1:10 PM
    Friday, September 6, 2019 9:00 AM
  • Hi JensBe,

It would seem to be a local issue with Project on that PC.   I have no magic solns for you, you could try and open a support case from Microsoft.  Things that I have tried before include ensuring Project is open and connected already to the instance, and then of course trying to initiate the opening from different browsers as I think you already have done.  

Ben Howard [MVP] | web | blog | book | downloads | P2O

• Marked as answer by JensBe Wednesday, September 11, 2019 8:16 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by JensBe Wednesday, September 11, 2019 8:19 AM
    Tuesday, September 10, 2019 10:09 AM
  • Thanks for your answer. 'Course there is no magic soln, but I hoped that there has been a similar problem.

Yes, I already tried to open the calendar via the PWA from different, up-to-date browsers.

Anyway, I have an update from the client's IT helpdesk:

The problem, i.e. the error opening an enterprise calendar locally in the Project Client from a PWA, supposedly and probably stems from the combination of Office 2010 and Project 2016 installed on the users' machines.
    The client's organization won't currently upgrade from Office 2010.

I hope someone can learn or even find out more from and about this problem.

• Edited by JensBe Wednesday, September 11, 2019 8:16 AM
    • Marked as answer by JensBe Wednesday, September 11, 2019 8:20 AM
    Wednesday, September 11, 2019 8:15 AM