none
Is enhanced rich text column supported by Document library? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.
    i have created new column in site columns, which has the type - enhanced rich text.
    when i add this column to Document library and try to create an item, i see no enhanced rich text panel.
    is it that column of that type is not supported or the panel should be added somehow else?
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 11:08 AM

Answers

• Hi Anna,

It is by design that the rich text and enhanced rich text are not available in document libraries.

When you create a column of multiple lines of text in a SharePoint list, the options of rich text and enhanced rich text are available. However, it is not the case in a document library.
    Even though you can create a site column of rich text or enhanced rich text in site level, it turns out to be a plain text input box when you add this column to the document library.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards.

Lily Wu
    • Marked as answer by Anna Morina Monday, February 15, 2010 2:54 PM
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems that neither rich text nor enhanced rich text are supported in document libraries.

If you try to create multiline text column directly on a document library (ie by not using a site column), you don't even get the opportunity to specify that the column is rich text or enhanced. I'd say document libraries only support plain text.

Paul. 
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 11:47 PM
  • hi Anna,

i might not agree with paul.

while create a column of multi text, sharpeoint does give option of selecting type of text.

i am unable to find any link which shows screen shot for the same.

please correct me if i am wrong.
    ullasjoshi
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:41 AM
  • Generally if you select Multiple lines of text column at the time of creation, you need to select plain text/rich text/enhanced rich text. If you select Enhanced rich text, then when click on New in document library it will display that column with Enhanced Rich text box having features like Bold, Underline, Font etc options.
    Thanks & Regards, Neerubee
    • Marked as answer by Anna Morina Monday, February 15, 2010 2:53 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Anna Morina Monday, February 15, 2010 2:54 PM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:57 AM
  • Hi Anna,

It is by design that the rich text and enhanced rich text are not available in document libraries.

When you create a column of multiple lines of text in a SharePoint list, the options of rich text and enhanced rich text are available. However, it is not the case in a document library.
    Even though you can create a site column of rich text or enhanced rich text in site level, it turns out to be a plain text input box when you add this column to the document library.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards.

Lily Wu
    • Marked as answer by Anna Morina Monday, February 15, 2010 2:54 PM
    Thursday, February 11, 2010 9:34 AM
  • Thank you very much for your replies.
    I see it is not supported now.
    Monday, February 15, 2010 2:53 PM
  • Update ...in SharePoint Foundation via SharePoint Designer 2010, you can add a Rich Text column to a doc library ( you cannot do this via front end). I needed this as well for an Email workflow that took the body entered as rich text and composed the email via workflow. 
    • Proposed as answer by GeekPeek Wednesday, May 2, 2012 5:18 PM
    Thursday, December 9, 2010 9:37 PM
  • Lily -

Is your answer for SharePoint 2010?  I thought you could use rich and enhanced text in libraries in SharePoint 2007.  Do you know why that feature was left out of 2010?

Larry

Tuesday, December 14, 2010 2:04 PM
  • Hi Anna Morina,

Perform following steps to enable rich text box in document library.

1) create a custom column with rich text box and attached to custom content type.

2) Use that content type in document library,but still not enable rich text box column.

3) Save that document library as a template and create another document library using that saved template.

4) Then document library will enable the rich text box column.

Cheers,

Balaji

Monday, May 21, 2012 9:14 AM
  • I had the same issue as well, but resolved it quite easily with SharePoint designer.  Even though in web UI, you cannot change the mutli-line text field to accept rich text content when it is part of a doc library, you *can* do so through SPD.  Simply open the library in designer (you should naviget to Lists and Libraries link on the left Navigation and go from there) and use the Edit Columns button on the Office Ribbon to make your desired change.  No need to create site columns or library templates.

Alex

• Proposed as answer by swhite88 Tuesday, April 23, 2013 5:30 PM
    Friday, April 5, 2013 11:43 PM
  • Initially, I followed Alex's solution and it got me 95% of the way there.  Then I took an additional step in Sharepoint Designer so that Alex's solution would work.  On the page rendering the library column, in Sharepoint Designer I had to add "disable-output-escaping=yes.   So my row looks like this:

<td width="75%" class="ms-vb">
                                <xsl:value-of select="@StudyIntro" disable-output-escaping="yes" />
                            </td>

At which point I decided to find out if, without changing the library column settings, just simply adding the escaping line into the page code on a different library would work - and it did!

I think the difference is that if you change the column setting on the library - when a user creates or edits the item directly in the library, they will get the rich text editor tools.   If you just need to render the html display - then just hack the code on the page.

• Edited by swhite88 Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:53 PM typo
    • Proposed as answer by swhite88 Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:11 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by swhite88 Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:11 PM
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:45 PM
  • I created a custom column type (mult line text, w/ ERT and append option =yes) and then saved to custom content type. Next, created the library and added the custom content type and saved as a new doc library template. Lastly, I created a new doc library from the template, but the ERT option for the mult line text column type does not display, nor does append...why SharePoint 2010 strip this functionality out and only allow plain text? This functionality is apparent in List features?

Wednesday, January 29, 2014 8:51 PM
  • I don't understand why this is the case. It would be a beneficial feature to have but it seems to be not allowed. There has been a lot of requests for this to be changed (and 6 years of waiting, it would seem). This should be added to SharePoint.
    Thursday, November 24, 2016 7:05 AM
  • Also, this worked for me
    Wednesday, August 30, 2017 3:52 PM