none
Workflow to update email list RRS feed

• Question

• I have two lists called A and B. On A list, I have a column called Mail list, on B list, I have a column called Email Addresses. There will be many items on B but only one item on A. I need all the Email Addresses from all items on B will go to Mail list column. What I am doing is I create an Update List Item workflow, this workflow will keep whatever the Mail list column currently contains then adding on new Email Address whenever a new item is created on B. However, this way it cannot update the previous item in Mail list column, if someone changes the email address or something, their old email addresses will still be on the list. Anyone has a better solution to update my Mail list? Thank you very much.

Monday, August 12, 2013 7:15 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I don't think you can achieve this without code. Since you want to add the event link with list and show the attendees by clicking on that link so you need to create event receiver (ItemAdded). You need first get the link of event when there is new item event added and then add this link in hyperlink column of event list.

You may open the dispform.aspx from hyperlink so you can see all attendees.

Let me know if you need any help

Hemendra:Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:49 AM
  • You might need to send the email in the workflow using "Send an email".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNxD82KiUhQ

My Blog- http://www.sharepoint-journey.com| Twitter
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Vote as Helpful

Friday, August 9, 2013 4:03 AM
  • Hi Naami,

A better way to do this is using list item event recievers instead of workflow. Have both itemAdded and ItemUpdated event recievers on list B which get fired whenever a email address is added or updated in List B. The event reciever code will have the logic to add/update the email address inside the column "Mail List" on list A.

Narahari

******If a post answers/helps your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and/or "Vote as Helpful*******

Monday, August 12, 2013 9:12 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I don't think you can achieve this without code. Since you want to add the event link with list and show the attendees by clicking on that link so you need to create event receiver (ItemAdded). You need first get the link of event when there is new item event added and then add this link in hyperlink column of event list.

You may open the dispform.aspx from hyperlink so you can see all attendees.

Let me know if you need any help

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, August 8, 2013 10:49 AM
  • Thank you very much for your reply but I don't have the option to work with the codes in this task. I have to do everything in Sharepoint Designer 2010. I already had a column in Events list which has all the email addresses from attendees for each event. Now what I have to do is to find a way to pull out that list when I want to send email to the attendees.  

Thursday, August 8, 2013 8:14 PM
  • You might need to send the email in the workflow using "Send an email".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNxD82KiUhQ

My Blog- http://www.sharepoint-journey.com| Twitter
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Vote as Helpful

Friday, August 9, 2013 4:03 AM
  • >find a way to pull out that list when I want to send email to the attendees

How about the URL in event list for attendees? You said  this line in your initial post  "I have to create a column in the Events list that contains a link for each event"

Anyway, if it is all about email then create a designer workflow as suggested by devendra

Friday, August 9, 2013 5:24 AM
  • a URL in event list for attendees is exactly what I want to do. I used "mailto:" to create the link but when I click on the link, it pops up a compose email window, in the "to" field it includes this line: <div class="ExternalClass442edaeadskad"> and it does not allow me to send the email.

Monday, August 12, 2013 3:21 PM
  • I don't want a default email, I just need a link that will pop up an e-mail compose window with all attendees listed
    Monday, August 12, 2013 3:23 PM
  • Hi Naami,

A better way to do this is using list item event recievers instead of workflow. Have both itemAdded and ItemUpdated event recievers on list B which get fired whenever a email address is added or updated in List B. The event reciever code will have the logic to add/update the email address inside the column "Mail List" on list A.

Narahari

******If a post answers/helps your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and/or "Vote as Helpful*******

Monday, August 12, 2013 9:12 PM