none
Publishing workflow not showing in Designer RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I want to edit the oob publishing workflow. I have a site with the publishing feature enabled and such but when I go to Designer and look at the Workflows it does not display.

Any ideas why that may be?

Thanks in advance,

S.

Monday, September 12, 2011 10:37 PM

Answers

• Alright, I feel dense now. I did not realize there is a feature titled "Publishing Approval Workflow" that must be activated. I thought it was only the Publishing Infrastructure that had to be activated.

In this article Microsoft never even mentions this feature specifically but only says "The Publishing workflow is only available in SharePoint Server 2010 where the Publishing feature is enabled." I suppose that is expected to include this feature but I completely missed this feature before and only turned on the Infrastructure.

Hopefully if someone else comes across this issue, this will help them.

• Marked as answer by SLF05 Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:24 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by SLF05 Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Friday, September 23, 2011 8:02 AM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:24 PM

All replies

• Only a few of the global reusable workflows show up for editing.  Do you see the other ones, such as Approval and Collect Feedback?
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 5:23 AM
  • Hi Clay,

Yes I do see Approval, Collect Feedback and Collect Signatures.

if you google "customize publishing workflow sharepoint 2010" a few blogs come up talking about doing this and one even shows a picture of where it should be:

http://www.khamis.net/blog/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=18

But it doesn't come up for me... any ideas?

Thanks for your reply!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:06 PM
  • Alright, I feel dense now. I did not realize there is a feature titled "Publishing Approval Workflow" that must be activated. I thought it was only the Publishing Infrastructure that had to be activated.

In this article Microsoft never even mentions this feature specifically but only says "The Publishing workflow is only available in SharePoint Server 2010 where the Publishing feature is enabled." I suppose that is expected to include this feature but I completely missed this feature before and only turned on the Infrastructure.

Hopefully if someone else comes across this issue, this will help them.

• Marked as answer by SLF05 Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:24 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by SLF05 Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Lily Wu Friday, September 23, 2011 8:02 AM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:24 PM
  • This actually brings me to a new question -- (wasn't sure if I should start a new thread or not so decided to go with this one)

How can I copy and modify a custom publishing approval workflow then associate it so every time a new publishing site with workflow is created, the custom publishing approval is the default workflow?

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 8:43 PM
  • To make this custom publishing approval workflow available in another SharePoint site, you could save this reusable workflow as a workflow template (.wsp) file and then import it into Visual Studio and then deploy to the target site. For details, please see:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee231580.aspx
    http://mysharepointwork.blogspot.com/2010/05/move-sharepoint-2010-designer-workflow.html

Thanks & Regards.

Monday, September 19, 2011 7:38 AM