none
Adding Details of a user in sharepoint 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

i have a share point 2013 web application. i don't have ad installed . i use FBA users to login to the site.

every thing is up and running no problem except one thing.

in FBA database only some properties of user is stored. i want to store some custom and many no of properties such and educational detail. projects details etc.

These records may be needed at a time . some time i have done R&D on User profile service application but is seems user profile is not what we want.

so i am looking to create a list. may i do that . is it OK.

Mukesh

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 6:46 AM

Answers

• Hi Mukesh,

All the user profile properties can be configured whether to display or not in edit profile/view profile/newsfeed sections. This can be done very easily in Central Admin -> Manage Service Applications -> User Profile Svc App -> Manage User Properties -> Edit any property by its context menu. However, if you want to restrict the display of properties in Profile page (like in Person.aspx), you can easily deploy your own Person.aspx and show the properties you want over there.

Narahari

******If a post answers/helps your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and/or "Vote as Helpful*******

Thursday, August 8, 2013 6:53 AM

All replies

• As far as FBA is properly configured, I guess you can create custom properties in User Profile Service Application and map them to your custom properties in the identity store (your database).

Please refer to MSDN or this for a quick step-by-step guide.

THosE wHo doN'T apPreCiATe LiFe, DOn't DeSerVe iT

• Edited by A.Ragab Wednesday, August 7, 2013 7:27 AM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2013 7:24 AM
  • Hi,

If you have FBA, you can still use user profile but you need to write custom code to pull user properties from your database and create profiles programmatically. One such example you will find at (Step 5): http://benredl.wordpress.com/2012/10/03/creating-forms-based-authentication-and-user-profiles-in-sharepoint-2013-using-custom-membership-and-role-providers-and-a-custom-user-profile-synchronization-utility/.

Once you have the code to read data from your database and create user profile, you can run the in few different ways: You can create a timer job and run it periodically or you can create a service application (much better but more development).

Thanks,
    Sohel Rana
    http://ranaictiu-technicalblog.blogspot.com>

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 8:09 AM
  • Hi Ragab,

i know how to create properties in user profile . but there are several out of the box properities apearing in user profile area . i want only my custom properities to show. there fore i thinked to create a list and put all information in the list. is there any way how i can use only my custom properities to show in the profile area ????

if not , then is using list is appropriate ????

Mukesh

Wednesday, August 7, 2013 8:23 AM
  • Helloooo

Mukesh

Thursday, August 8, 2013 6:17 AM
  • Hi Mukesh,

All the user profile properties can be configured whether to display or not in edit profile/view profile/newsfeed sections. This can be done very easily in Central Admin -> Manage Service Applications -> User Profile Svc App -> Manage User Properties -> Edit any property by its context menu. However, if you want to restrict the display of properties in Profile page (like in Person.aspx), you can easily deploy your own Person.aspx and show the properties you want over there.

Narahari

******If a post answers/helps your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and/or "Vote as Helpful*******

Thursday, August 8, 2013 6:53 AM
  • ok i will try. thanks for replying .

Mukesh

Thursday, August 8, 2013 9:34 AM
  • hellooo all

i have a set of no of  properties (custom) .  i need to customize edit profile page . please help

Mukesh

Monday, August 12, 2013 5:35 AM
  • Hi Mukesh,

The display of all the fields in Edit Profile can be easily governed inside the UPS app. What exactly do you want to customize in Edit Profile page?

Narahari

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 5:27 AM
  • Hello Narahari,

yes exactly , i want to customize edit profile page? how i can achieve that.

Mukesh

Wednesday, August 14, 2013 5:37 AM