none
How to Update existing sites with Updated Sharepoint Site Template. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have been working on a Site which was created using a site template. Now I have modified that site with some new lists. I saved this site as Site Template and aded this template using "stsadm.exe -o addtemplate" command.

Now I am able to see new lists in new sites. However i could not see the new lists in old sites which were created prior to site template update.

I am having Office Share pointe Server 2007.

Could you please help me or suggest me the way in which I can update my old sites with updated template.

Thanks.

Best Regards, Sunil Sharma
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 4:42 AM

Answers

• There is no way to apply a site template to an existing site. There isn't even an easy way to do this.

The alternate is you can create SharePoint Feature that contains lists/libraries etc, that you want and enable this feature to your old sites wherever you want.

Thanks & Regards, Neerubee
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:11 AM
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 5:50 AM

All replies

• There is no way to apply a site template to an existing site. There isn't even an easy way to do this.

The alternate is you can create SharePoint Feature that contains lists/libraries etc, that you want and enable this feature to your old sites wherever you want.

Thanks & Regards, Neerubee
    • Marked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:11 AM
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 5:50 AM
  • To add "update" to neerubee's reply.

A site template is a snapshot of what a site looked like at a single moment in time.

Once a template has been used to create a site, the look of that site can only be changed through manual effort. There is no way to update a site template that is already being used (and updating a site template that isn't being used is by creating a site with it; amending that site manually and by then creating a New Site Template of the revised site).

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 8:16 AM