none
importing sp list with vs recieving 'Non-supported field type change' error RRS feed

• Question

• Good day,

I am using the following link (http://www.law.com/jsp/lawtechnologynews/PubArticleLTN.jsp?id=1202443237483&slreturn=1&hbxlogin=1) to import and export lists between wss 3.0 sites.  The issue seems to be that when the lists were originally called 'Documents' and the site already has a list by that name [even if i rename it before the import of the new list] i receive this error on line 44 [import.run] of the import .cs:

{"Non-supported field type change.\n\nThe field cannot be changed to the new type. Please check the new type and try again."}

However if the list was original created as "lista" and I import that over and then I import "listb" over I am great.  But I cannot import over a list named "documents" rename it [even in the origional site before import] and import another list named "documents".  I really need to move these lists & they have 100's of entries so I cannot save them as a template,

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks,
    Hyde

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct or more uncertain in its success than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.
    Friday, May 13, 2011 7:14 PM

Answers

All replies

• Instead of using the code, Can you try using this tool, SP Content Deployment Wizard? http://spdeploymentwizard.codeplex.com/

Let us know if you are still facing the same issues.

V
    • Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:58 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:49 PM
    Friday, May 13, 2011 7:28 PM
  • That was actually my first choice, except they don't want me putting "unknown software on the server".  Yeah I know...
    There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct or more uncertain in its success than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.
    Friday, May 13, 2011 7:30 PM
  • Hi,

I think that you change solution or feature Id. sharepoint use this id for get special feature.

see this artilce:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4041593/non-supported-field-type-change-when-modifying-a-feature

• Marked as answer by Leoyi Sun Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:58 AM
    Friday, May 13, 2011 7:39 PM
  • Hmm well since i am not creating/changing a feature will that really work? And how would that work since I never deploy a feature?  I have no where to say "change/create Id"
    Friday, May 13, 2011 8:03 PM
  • I installed the codeplex deployment wizard and am having the same issue. I checked the db and the guids are not duped so I am not sure where I am getting this error from. I also checked the featured ID like Alireza suggested and they are dupped, what can I change that too; what are my options.  Any direction here is appreciated.

I can't believe there is no easier way to migrate lists.
    Thanks,
    Hyde

• Edited by Hyde_311 Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:27 PM added more content
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:23 PM
  • I used that and receive the same error when I check retain IDs as suggested. I posted in the codeplex forum.
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 12:50 PM