none
content type description value in Content search web part RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

In content search web part using managed property (ContentType), i am able to get content type "Title" for the list items.

but my problem is i need to fetch content type "Description" not the title. I have searched for content type description managed property and i am not able to find any.

I have used rest API to get content description using content type title for the items (~100), but with this problem is, it is taking lot of time to load a page.

Please let me know if anyone have idea how to get content type Description in Display Template and it should not take time load page.

Thanks in Advance.

Milan Jain

Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:21 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Any update about my reply?

If my reply helps you, please mark the reply as answer, it will make others who stuck with the similar issue easier to search for valid solutions in this forum.

Best regards,

Patrick

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Marked as answer by Milan Jain Wednesday, April 12, 2017 5:06 AM
    Monday, March 20, 2017 8:48 AM

All replies

• Hi Milan,

The “Description” property of a Content Type won’t be crawled, thus it may not be able to be used in a display template.

As a workaround, you can add a Text column in this Content Type, set its default value to the “Description” of this Content Type. Then when there is item created with this Content Type, there will be a column hold this value, this column will also get crawled and the mapped property can be used in display template.

Best regards,

Patrick

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Saturday, March 18, 2017 7:37 AM
  • Hi,

Any update about my reply?

If my reply helps you, please mark the reply as answer, it will make others who stuck with the similar issue easier to search for valid solutions in this forum.

Best regards,

Patrick

• Marked as answer by Milan Jain Wednesday, April 12, 2017 5:06 AM
    Monday, March 20, 2017 8:48 AM
  • Hello Patrick,

Thanks for your answer. I have try for this solution.

And again my customer don't want to change the content types, because there are number of Content types.

I am sure this solutions works like charm.

• Edited by Milan Jain Monday, March 20, 2017 8:54 AM
    Monday, March 20, 2017 8:51 AM
  • Hi Milan,

So you decide to still go with the REST API to retrieve the descriptions dynamically, right?

Though it would comes with performance issue, this should be a workaround for you at this moment.

Anyway, if you would have any better idea, just want you to share it here with us.

Best regards,

Patrick

Saturday, March 25, 2017 5:21 AM