Empty text when using BeginStartConversation with Lync 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are using the Lync 2013 Automation for a while now.
    One of our flows opens a new message window (with other participants) and put some text in it.

Recently, we got a complain that the communication window is opened, but no text in it.
    We didn't manage to reproduce it here, but we saw it happen to the customer.

Lync version: 15.0.4711.1000, 64b

our code:

private static void CreateNewConversationAndSendMessage(List<string> recipients, string textToInvitees)
            {
                var lyncAutomation = LyncClient.GetAutomation();

string[] inviteeList = recipients.ToArray();

Dictionary<AutomationModalitySettings, object> settings =
                    new Dictionary<AutomationModalitySettings, object>
                        {
                            {AutomationModalitySettings.FirstInstantMessage, textToInvitees},
                            {AutomationModalitySettings.SendFirstInstantMessageImmediately, true}
                        };

lyncAutomation.BeginStartConversation(
                    AutomationModalities.InstantMessage,
                    inviteeList,
                    settings,
                    null,
                    null);
         }

The text is about 300 chars. contains the char &  and https link.
    As I wrote, it worked well before, and still works well for us.

The user mentioned that he did receive many Office updates, and that one of them seems like a mix between Skype and Lync.

Please help us understand what can cause our text not to appear in the message window..

Thanks,
    Moshe

Tuesday, April 21, 2015 12:12 PM

All replies

• This would require some investigation of the Lync client tracing.

This will be beyond what I can assist in the forums.

Have the client enable the Lync client tracing, reproduce the failure, and collect the tracing folder from C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync\Tracing

Once you have the tracing you can open a support case with us and we can help analyze the client logs.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 3:15 PM
  • Thanks.

I understand that debugging the specific issue is too much, but could you verify  in general that the BeginStartConversation works with version Lync:15.0.4711.1002 MSO: 15.0.4711.1000 32 bit?

Thanks

Moshe

Thursday, May 14, 2015 7:18 AM
  • I'm having this issue. And so is a third person. On that thread, someone posted code in VB that supposedly works but I haven't verified.

I saw the bug in Lync 2013 maybe 8-10 months ago, then it stopped happening (Office update?), but now it's happening in Skype for Business v15.0.4727.1001. If the conversation window is open to begin with, the message gets sent. Otherwise it does not get sent.

I'm leaning towards a workaround of calling BeginStartConversation() twice, once without a message to assure the conversation window is open, and a second time with the message. It might be a naive workaround (it's my first day with the API).

I'm pretty sure it's a bug in the Lync API. I noticed this code sample has two approaches, each in it's own implementation of btnStartConv_Click(). The first crashes with an exception and the second is commented out. If I comment the first implementation and uncomment the second, it shows the bug behavior we're seeing.

Monday, July 6, 2015 10:55 PM