Multi level navigation in global menu (No solution in thread)

Question

• Hi,

In my MOSS 2007 implementation I've selected publishing site template for the root site collection. I created various subsites for under this. I have used the Contoso site theme downloaded from MS without any modification because my MOSS site is still in dev phase.

I wanted second level menus to be displayed, so first enabled display subsites option in Navigation under site settings and then I used SPD and gave MaximumDynamicDisplayLevels=2 in default.master and published and approved it.

This is site structure:

Home
    Investment
      Sector 1
          Asset 1   
      Sector 2
          Asset 2.1
          Asset 2.2
      Sector 3
          Asset 3.1
          Asset 3.2
          Asset 3.3

The issue is if I'm in home site or Investment site, I can see 2nd level menus; i.e. I can see flyout menus with all sectors and its assets. But if I navigate in to a Sector, these fly out menus does not appear; i.e. I cannot see the Assets, I can only see the Sectors in the menu.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Manoj

• Edited by Manoj V Monday, August 31, 2009 10:05 AM Changed usage of "Portal" in my query
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, January 07, 2011 10:09 PM (No solution in thread added to Title)
    Monday, August 31, 2009 4:24 AM

All replies

• Don't use "Portal" in connection with MOSS. In SharePoint "Portal" means SharePoint Portal Server 2001 or SharePoint Portal Server 2003. It's confusing for readers to see "MOSS 2007 Portal" an other similar phrases and using "portal" alone is worse because people will assume you are asking about SPS 2003.

(Moderator)

WSS FAQ sites: http://wssv2faq.mindsharp.com and http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com
    Total list of WSS 3.0 / MOSS 2007 Books (including foreign language) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v3%20WSS%20FAQ/V%20Books.aspx
    Monday, August 31, 2009 7:38 AM
  • Manoj:

You'll want to look at the Navigation settings under each site's Site Settings and make sure that they are set up to 'Display the same navigation items as the parent site'.

M.
    Marc D Anderson - Sympraxis Consulting LLC - Marc D Anderson's Blog - @sympmarc
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 3:48 AM
  • Hi M,

That option was enabled, still same issue.

Regards,
    Manoj
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 7:13 AM
  • Are you using the same master page for all of your sites?

M.
    Marc D Anderson - Sympraxis Consulting LLC - Marc D Anderson's Blog - @sympmarc
    Tuesday, September 01, 2009 4:27 PM
  •  

If you are using some third party web parts on Sector site, please also remove them temporarily to narrow down the cause. Additionally check the following option on Sector site:

1. Site Actions - Site Settings - Modify all Site settings-

2. Click Master Page under Look and Feel .

3. Select  Inherit site master page from parent of this site under Site Master Page.

Regards.

Friday, September 04, 2009 9:30 AM
  • Yes, I'm using same master page; Default.Master.
    Sunday, September 06, 2009 1:31 PM
  • Mine is a vanilla installation without any third-part webparts. Tried "Inherit site master page from parent of this site", but same issue.

Regards,
    Manoj
    Sunday, September 06, 2009 1:32 PM